Dogs Can Drive: Here's Video Proof

the daily dish More on PawNation: Adoption, Awesome, Cute, Dogs, Funny, Heart-Warming, Talented, The Dish, Training, Weird
Now here is a new trick that would be impressive for any dog to learn. According to the New Zealand Herald, three SPCA dogs are getting behind the wheel to show off the smarts of rescue animals.

The pedal-to-the-metal pooches are named Monty, Ginny and Porter. The dogs have been taking driving lessons for the past eight weeks and will soon show off their skills live on television in New Zealand. The shelter hopes this demonstration will make prospective pet owners think of adoption first. Car company Mini joined in to provide the vehicles and wants to help the SCPA squash misconceptions that shelter animals are unintelligent.

"Sometimes people think because they're getting an animal that's been abandoned, that somehow it's a second-class animal," SPCA Auckland CEO Christine Kalin told the New Zealand Herald. "Driving a car actively demonstrates to potential rescue dog adopters that you can teach an old dog new tricks. The dogs have achieved amazing things in eight short weeks of training, which really shows with the right environment just how much potential all dogs from the SPCA have as family pets."

The canines were chosen from SCPA Auckland branch two months ago and were placed in the talented hands of dog trainer Mark Vette. The trainer worked with each dog's distinct personality, creating individual training plans for all of them. Even for a veteran, Vette was amazed by how quickly the animals learned the complex task.

"You wouldn't believe any dog could learn to drive a car on its own, and the way all three SPCA rescue dogs have taken to training really does prove that intelligent creatures adapt to the situation they're in. It really is remarkable," Vette told the New Zealand Herald.

The SPCA's preview of the dogs' progress has been met with positive astonishment. The shelter hopes this excitement translates into a long-term increase in adoptions and many more happy forever homes.

AND SEE DOGS WHO CAN RIDE BIKES, TOO!:

Robert Savana

I just want to see them drive the MINI...I think this is just a cool, fun thing...I love my rescues :)

December 09 2012 at 10:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert Savana

I just want to see them drive the Mini...this is just cool...I love my rescues :)

December 09 2012 at 10:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mo

So, my own rescue darling Sally now not only takes up the whole bed (all 10 pounds of her), but she's going to borrow the car? As long as she'll go get milk I'll think about it.

December 07 2012 at 10:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mo

So, you're saying my two sons and my own rescue darling Sally are going to fight over the keys to my car?

Okay, Sally wins.

December 07 2012 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marty

to njjmom...actually they are driving.
Albeit not at a very good level but in the same sense that a child can drive a toy car.
Like you said humans can also lack good driving skills.

December 05 2012 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
misserlinda

I think the real point here is that shelter dogs are smart. Don't overlook them and go out and spend money on a pure-bred because you believe them to be smarter. I have two very smart little shelter dogs.

December 04 2012 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
emeraldshield

Awwww, there goes my bubble. You know, you don't HAVE to let us know that stuff.

December 04 2012 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
njjmom

I am a big supporter of rescue adoption and I do not need to know that a dog can drive before I will adopt. Spoiler alert: They are not driving. They are being taught to press buttons and the "vehicle" moves. Driving requires critical thinking and quick reaction skills. The dogs are not driving....okay? That being said, there are a lot of humans who should not be behind the wheel either!!!

December 04 2012 at 2:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply