Cat Who Inspired Viral "Nyan Cat" Video Passes Away

the daily dish More on PawNation: Cats, Celebs, Nyan Cat, Sad, The Dish
The Internet has lost an icon this week. According to GMA News, the fabulous feline that inspired the infamous Nyan Cat video has passed away.

Marty Nyan Cat

Just shy of three years old, Marty has made a lasting mark on the world in his short lifetime. The jingle-fueled and rainbow-filled Nyan Cat video has over 87 million views and has led to countless spin-offs.

Marty passed away from Feline Infectious Peritonitis, a fatal and incurable disease. His owner and creator of Nyan Cat, Chris Torres, brought Marty to the veterinarian as soon as he noticed his pet acting unusual.

At the doctor's office, Torres received the bad news about Marty's FIP diagnosis. The owner was familiar with feline illness, having lost another cat to FIP.

"I was seriously hoping to nurse him back to health, but FIP is pretty much a death sentence to most cats. There is no known cure," Torres told Mashable.

Torres spread the sad news via Twitter, receiving numerous condolences. In this difficult time, at least Torres can rest assured that his beloved cat has left a happy mark on the world, with Nyan Cat outlasting most of the Internet's powerful cat memes.

Nyan Cat Immortalized in Cake & More Cute Confections:

Martin

I am so sorry for your loss!

when my cat died, she was old 24!
I went and adopted 2 cats from the shelter. Her death saved 2 cats.

November 03 2012 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Martin

so sorry for your loss!

when my cat died, she was really old 24! I adopted to cats from the shelter.
so her death, saved 2 cats. For what its worth...

November 03 2012 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Taz

FIP is sooo devastating...Im sorry for your loss. When my cat was 3 she had a life threatening illness and the vet thought it might be FIP as well...Im fortunate that it was not and we were able to save her...but the heartbreak of the thought of her dying so soon was horrible.

November 03 2012 at 11:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chioutsider

I've been searching and I can't find one site that takes donations for FIP. Ok I found one shady site, but other than that...

November 03 2012 at 4:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
robbhoek

I understand his grieve. Two weeks ago I lost my favorite cat Pebbels. Not to illness but to an accident. She was run over on the street in front of my driveway just ten or fifteen feet from where I was cutting up some branches. The SUV had slowed down and must have tried to drive around her as she was crossing the street. One minute I saw her from the corner of my eyes walking down the driveway and the next minute she was dead. What will stay with me is the snapping sound of her skull as the rear tire rolled over her. It was after the driver kept on going when I saw her twitching body on the street with fur flying all over that I realized it was Pebbels. I quickly ran over and picked her up, her body still twitching. I was overcome by a heavy feeling of sadness and while I carried her into the carport I called her name. It seems to me that one eye looked up to me for the last time and then her body went limp. I was very heart broken. I wrapped her in burlap material and buried her in the back yard. Ten years ago she adopted my family after her owner abandoned her. We gave her a good life. Over the past thirty some years we have adopted eight dogs and six cats, better yet, we adopted the dogs and the cats adopted us. They all have different per “personalities”. Never look a stray animal in the eyes, you may get hooked on them.

November 02 2012 at 8:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to robbhoek's comment
valgaavmiko

Keep your cat indoors and they won't get run over, fool.

November 02 2012 at 11:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to valgaavmiko's comment
deadevilbetty

cant really say what you are..but can say YOU are the FOOL here with your ignorant inappropriate babble...no manners...no sense....just stupid with a computer.

November 13 2012 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
deadevilbetty

that was a heartbreaking story. very very sad. sooo sorry for your loss

November 13 2012 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Baron hans Vongress

RIP Marty from a dog and cat lover.
All of HIS creatures are special.
Go and in his memory rescue another cat...he has left a hole in your heart another cat will help heal.
God Bless all who love and take care of animals.
www.friendsofsaintfrancis.com

November 02 2012 at 4:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Camille

so sorry, he was too young :{{

November 02 2012 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
versetoworst

Soooo sorry for your loss.

From,