Kelly Ripa Slams Pit Bulls During Pit Bull Awareness Month

the daily dish More on PawNation: Celebs, Controversy, Dogs, Kelly Ripa, KellyRipa, Pit Bulls, Puppies, Sad
During an interview with "Seven Psychopaths" star Christopher Walken, daytime TV host Kelly Ripa made an offhanded comment about Pit Bulls. According to Dogster, Ripa, unaware that it is Pit Bull Awareness Month, stereotyped the breed as dangerous and a gangster's kind of dog.

Ripa was referring to the dog that Walken's character steals, which was played by Bonny the Shih Tzu. What she exactly said was: "But the gangster's dog is uh, I mean, if it's a gangster it would have to be a dangerous, uh, Pit Bull kind of dog, right?"

In her defense, Ripa did seem to "fumble up" during the interview, as many people would when interacting with eccentric star Christopher Walken. Still, she repeated her thoughts that Pit Bulls are dangerous and has yet to apologize for the statement.

50 Sweet Pit Bull Puppies Available for Adoption Now:

Ally74

This is a little late, but Carol is a tool! My aunt had a cocker spaniel, nasty little S.O.B, used to bite me as a small child. It has nothing to do with the breed! Any dog can be aggressive !!! And Ms.Ignorant Carol, pitties were the original nanny dog in England. It's scumbags that make these dogs aggressive, it's closed minded bird brains such as yourself that do not know jack s$@t and make assumptions ! Yes I own a pitbull & an English Bulldog. And my "ferocious" pit is petrified of the neighbor's Chihuahua !

January 02 2013 at 12:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandra DeClue

No celebrity of any kind should promote stereotype of any kind...In this case it could mean death to a lot of innocent Pit Bulls in Shelters that will now be left behind because they are thought to be Dangerous not realizing the dogs have been evaluated for that by the shelter before putting them up for adoption.!

October 17 2012 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandra DeClue

To a man whose mind is free there is something even more intolerable in the sufferings of animals than in the sufferings of man. For with the latter it is at least admitted that suffering is evil and that the man who causes it is a criminal. But thousands of animals are uselessly butchered every day without a shadow of remorse. If any man were to refer to it, he would be thought ridiculous. And that is the unpardonable crime. ~Romain Rolland, Nobel Prize 1915

October 17 2012 at 4:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Finallyrelieved

such a disappointment. shame on you, Kelly...as i'm sure those who abuse the breed and create a false image. thought miss kelly would show more class than that. i've always admired her. i'm not saying she should speak highly of the bully breeds. i simply think she should not say things; neg. remarks(questions) esp. when she asked the question with a neg. innuendo as well. i agree w/ "babyj777",s comment. when she first got on the show, she was nicer and now she's gotten too comfortable and this is just one example of that fact.

October 16 2012 at 2:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
moonr469

I am a Pitbull owner and advocate. These ignorant comments are exactly the reason why I donate my time and money to help educate these close minded people the truth about pitbulls. Pitbulls are one of the most loving and LOYAL breeds out there. Do people breed them to fight? Unfortunately, yes, but if you raise any living animal/ human in a hateful environment, of course they will be aggressive. For all those who agree with pittbull bans, you are basically being racist... in the doggy world.

A quick link for those small dog owners. Just because every little incident involving a smaller dog doesn't get plastered on every news channel, does not mean that it doesn't happen more often then people realize.

My two cents!

October 16 2012 at 12:00 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
CAROL

I would like to add something to my previous post. I child was recently killed by a dog in my area. Earlier this summer a year old boy was killed by two dogs in his neighborhood which was supposed to be a safe area. He lived in an expensive area on a cul de sac. Now, guess what kind of dogs killed these innocent children? Labs? Goldens? Poodles? Maltese? Nope! From reading these rants, I believe that the killer dogs are the favorites of some misguided people. They are, of course, PIT BULLS. Everyone should own one or two.

October 16 2012 at 11:52 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to CAROL's comment
Jimmie

The media only gives airtime to the horrors attributed to pit bulls that's why all you believers pledge yourselves to believe everything that is written, similar to all the "accomplishments" attributed to Barry.

October 16 2012 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
spencley22

Kelly, shame on you, you don't know what you are saying. I am 71 yrs. old. I have raised 7 children, 7 pit bulls, and have grandchildren. I have babysit over 30 kids and never had a bad problem with my pits. You don't have a clue to what you are saying.

October 16 2012 at 11:48 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
CAROL

Kelly is right. A pit bull is a pit bull. They have been bred for years to kill. It is in their DNA. You never know when they will turn and attack. When was the last time you read about a poodle or a cocker spaniel attacking a child? Would you say never? Right! Never! I am a dog lover. Have always had a dog. Have cocker spaniel now. My grandchildren can walk on her, sit on her, pull her hair and she doesn't even flinch. Their family has a golden retriever. Same thing. Try that with a pit bull sometime. No way! Pitt bulls should not be allowed inside city limits. GO KELLY!!!!!

October 16 2012 at 11:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
4 replies to CAROL's comment
jbraidedbeauty1

Shes a married woman and she was all over mike strahan like a cheap suit.. she is not professional at all.

October 16 2012 at 11:43 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
vernsmaria

Instead of talking about dog breeds she knows nothing about except what she hears, maybe she should talk about a sandwich and find out where she can get one.

October 16 2012 at 11:38 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply