Boy Writes Heartbreaking Note About His Cat That Was Accidentally Euthanized

the daily dish More on PawNation: Cats, Euthanasia, Sad, The Dish
Sometimes the best way to sort out overwhelming emotions is to write them down. This is the simple therapy that an 8-year-old Utah boy chose after tragically losing his cat. According to Gawker, an animal shelter accidentally euthanized Rayden Sazam's cat, Toothless, because an employee forgot to leave a note on the cat's cage. However, there is much more to this upsetting series of events.

Rayden's note to the The Herald Journal recounting the loss of his beloved pet starts with the boy describing their relationship: "My kitty's name is Toothless. When I got him I had just seen 'How to Train a Dragon' at the movies. My kitty looked just like the dragon Toothless, with big green eyes and the hair around his head. Toothless, my cat, has long, fluffy hair and sleeps on my bed and loved to play with my brother and me. Toothless would let us carry him around all the time. He was our best friend."

This unfortunate story starts when Toothless disappeared from the Sazams' home one night. Rayden and his younger brother spent the next day visiting every neighbor on the block, asking about the cat. None of the neighbors remembered seeing Toothless, so the boys' father started calling shelters.

Soon, their father, Jason Sazam, found that Toothless was being kept at one of the shelters nearby. The woman who gave the family the good news said they would have to wait until the next day to pick up Toothless due to paperwork and fees that had to be arranged. Hearing that Toothless was safe and homeward bound, Rayden wrote, "We were so happy and we weren't scarred or worried anymore."

RELATED: Cat Taken to Vet for Flea Bath Is Mistakenly Euthanized

It is at this point that the boy's letter to the paper takes a heart wrenching turn, as Rayden explains, "My dad went back the next day to get our kitty, and they told him they didn't have any long-haired black cats. They only had a white fluffy cat. My dad waited a long time for the lady to come back and talk to him. The same lady that told my dad to come back the next day said she was sorry. She had forgotten to leave a note to tell the people my dad would be there for Toothless and they had just killed my cat that morning. She had just forgotten to write a note to save a member of my family. They killed him and I don't know why."

It was later found out that the Sazams' animal-hating neighbors trapped Toothless and brought the cat to the shelter. They even took their disingenuous actions a step further by lying to the boys the next day when they came to ask about their missing cat.

RELATED: Florida Shelter Euthanizes The Wrong Dog

Now Rayden is left to confront the truth that adults lie and make mistakes, and sometimes those indiscretions can be almost unforgivable. As Rayden put in his surprisingly mature response to his loss, "Grown-ups killed my kitty, my best friend, when they weren't supposed to."

After receiving the note from Rayden, The Herald Journal confirmed the story with the shelter involved. Rayden's father says he doesn't blame the shelter for Toothless' death and instead puts the responsibility on himself for not picking up the cat earlier.

While Rayden's note won't bring his best friend back, it has allowed the boy to share his cat's spirit. Responding to the attention his story has received, Rayden remarked, "I just wanted to tell people about Toothless - that I loved him. And that people shouldn't lie."

Two Year Old is Fearless Snake Charmer:

Gene

HOW HORRIBLE, these Shelters should be outlawed

January 03 2013 at 9:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jopudos

So sad to hear how heartless people can be. How terrible the boys had to lose their beloved pet not to mention the loss of innocence to the knowledge of senseless cruelty. The shelter employee shows herself to be incompetent beyond words. I know in time memories of Toothless' life will outSHINE his unfortunate demise.

October 09 2012 at 4:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mnbrasca

This is tragic. But even more tragic is the fact that there are hundreds of cats sitting in shelters right now just waiting their turn on death row. If this story touched you, go to your local shelter and adopt a cat. Save an innocent life today!

October 09 2012 at 3:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jejozi

I feel so bad for those boys. I know I'd be heartbroken if this happened to my cat, Erik. (yes, my cat's name is Erik. there's nothing so unusual about that. )

This just underscores the fact that house cats are in grave danger when they're allowed outside the home. Didn't he have a collar and tag or a chip?

October 09 2012 at 2:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to jejozi's comment
jmg62

Well jejozi - most places don't even check for the chiip. Much of that was the chips maker wanting everyone to get it. Who checks for a chip unless taken to a vet - a vet that can even check for the chip. A chip that has the correct information on it? It's a crap shoot. Other than that - I know that Rayden is going to grow up a big strong young man - and those neighbors that lied to him about Toothless are gonna regret mightily lieing to him about Toothless and after a few nasty happenstances with tires that go flat - and lit bags of dog crap thrown on their front steps - really flaming up and all - and wicked wind storms that smash outside lights and all that kinda thing - I'd leave a note and let them know that it's all from Toothless and they are rat baisteds for killing my cat and if my father had any stones he'd be over there telling those animal haters to keep their hands off his kid's animals (unless he had something to do with it too 'cause it's happened before). Then Rayden can have all sorts of animals and there shouldn't be any "miscommunications" ever again with proper tags and registrations et al. I'm sure Erik loves his companion for taking such good care of him! Many years of enjoyment to you both!

October 09 2012 at 3:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DonnaB

Doesn't matter if he had a tag or a chip the neighbor's trapped him and took him to the shelter. The shelter worker FORGOT to leave a note, come on....knowing full well the cat belonged to a family with young children. That is sad this little boy will grow up only trusting his parents....How can any shelter euthanize an animal after a day or two? My God they should be mandated to wait 5 day's until someone comes to claim an animal before euthanizing.....I say the shelter is to blame along with the neighbor's who trapped the cat. How horrible!

October 09 2012 at 3:36 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
AmyJWyndham

Agreed! Who ever trapped the cat...should be criminally charged! Heartbreaking story!

October 09 2012 at 1:03 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to AmyJWyndham's comment
jejozi

Agreed. But what about the people who let him out?

October 09 2012 at 1:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jejozi's comment
AmyJWyndham

Freedom doesn't justify entrapment...be it an animal, person, personal property, etc.

October 09 2012 at 4:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down
steffiewestrick

Animal cruelty on the neighbors!! I would be waiting for them... Jerks!!!

October 09 2012 at 12:59 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
lauralynn

After a proper time to grieve, that shelter should give that boy a cat free of charge.

October 09 2012 at 12:35 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
KJ

I hope that this little boy continue to use his voice to share this sad story. The worker at the shelter should be fired and the neighbors should be caged and tortured. Are you kidding me, the neighbors could have paid off the shelter to kill the cat. This should be looked into more.

October 09 2012 at 12:34 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
trsabaka

The shelter worker is incompetent and should be fired.

October 08 2012 at 11:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
corydarkstar

This story made me tear up. This isn't even my cat and I feel so bad and want to punish the neighbors. I can only imaging what I would do if it was my cat. Probably something stupid and violent like breaking some windows (and faces). But it would be worth it for vengeance.

October 08 2012 at 11:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply