Kissing Dogs Is Unhealthy, Especially For Kids

the daily dish More on PawNation: Dogs, Health, Kissing, Puppies, Safety

It's time to reconsider sharing a smooch with your precious pup. According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, medical evidence suggests diseases can be passed between humans and canines through mouth-to-mouth contact. In other words, pet owners should really avoid kissing their dogs on the mouth.

While it is unlikely that humans can catch anything infectious from dog saliva, it is still possible, according to Dr. Justine Lee. Don't worry - dogs cannot transmit AIDS, HIV, hepatitis or any other high-risk human diseases, but due to dogs' fecal-oral connection, disease transmission is a risk. You can't deny that you've witnessed your dog licking his bottom many times!

Roundworms, which can sometimes result in blindness in children, can be transmitted from dogs to people, as can Leptospirosis, toxoplasmosis, giardiasis, cryptosporidiosis and leishmaniasis85. To be safe, children should keep their mouth and hands away from dogs' mouths.

Despite the unlikelihood of a serious disease being spread to you or your children, you should ensure that your dog is clean, healthy and disease-free. Clean your pet of fecal matter daily, and consult your veterinarian regarding deworming or fecal monitoring and use year-round flea and tick controls. Lastly, teach your children to wash their hands after playing with any animal, and, if nothing else, just close your mouth when kissing your dog.

9 Pet Myths Debunked By Oprah's Vet:

dralan.ces

I have a little rescue min-pin/dachshund that I obtained when he was 6 wks old. He's my best little buddy...and he loves to give kisses. Thought I let him kiss my lips, my mouth is always closed (that would be weird if it wasn't). I have to say in the almost 7 years that I have had him I have not NOT had a cold or flu in that time. I think there is something to say about a dogs tongue have antibiotic/antiseptic qualities. Sometimes when I shave my legs and get a minor cut ....he'll find the blood (tho I don't encourage it) and give it a few licks....and it heals much faster and cleaner than it ever has ! If you don't know where your dog's been ...maybe it's not a good idea. Same with some human women I'd rather not to be near..

October 24 2013 at 7:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to dralan.ces's comment
PLW

You know, if you'll read in the Old Testament when the beggar laid outside of the rich mans gate just asking for the crumbs from his table, dogs licked his sores. I truly believe there is a healing property (enzymes?) connected with dog saliva. And why is it they have the ability to seek out boo-boo's as I suspect your little pooch does.

November 18 2013 at 5:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cynthia Wright Reyes

we loved and kissed our pets none of us are sick from it my friend shares her icecream lick about she is very healthy i never kissed a dog in the mouth but where is a link for your studies

May 07 2013 at 12:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Annie Rose Perí

please, can you give me any more information about this researching on some scientific works data base, not some random link on the web. It's proven that dog's tongue contains antibiotics, so dog kiss is harmless! Okay - not direct contact with human mouth, but if dog gives you a kiss on the cheek, nothing will happen. Of course, dog owners should take care about dog's and their kid's hygiene. All these bacteria infections can menace the health if people don't care. So, change the title (we know that you want attention) and think twice before you public things like that! And give us some god links, for god's sake

February 16 2013 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tbenakovich

I hope this is not a surprise to anyone....lol

October 05 2012 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thegrrrr8est

Whew! That was a close one. I thought they were going to say I should never kiss his ass.

October 05 2012 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bubbawubba Gump

Where to never kiss your dog? What is this, a ********** site?

October 05 2012 at 10:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rebecca

Well considering that a dog licks its genitals hundreds of times a day, I would say "not kissing" it would be a no brainer.

October 05 2012 at 9:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve Angler Adamait

my beagle luvs to lick behind my ears...lol.

October 05 2012 at 9:15 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Steve Angler Adamait

my beagle luvs to lick behind my ears!...lol.

October 05 2012 at 9:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jbjg24m

i kiss my doggie on his forehead, he loves it

October 05 2012 at 8:30 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply