Dogs Getting Sick From Marijuana Is An Increasing Problem in Coloradothe daily dish
According to NY Daily News, the number of dogs getting high on pot is becoming more and more of a problem in states where medical marijuana is legal, like Colorado.
The number of dogs that have gotten sick in Colorado since marijuana was legalized has nearly quadrupled.
"There are huge spikes in the frequency of marijuana ingestion [among pets] in places where it's become legal," said veterinarian Dr. Debbie Van Pelt.
Dogs are sniffing their way into their owner's stashes and as a result, getting sick from it. Most commonly, dogs are getting high from eating their owner's pot-enhanced foods, such as brownies made with marijuana butter.
Dr. Stacy Meola, a veterinarian, once tried to treat two dogs that got into their owners' baked goods, but sadly, they died.
"They basically [lose] a lot of their fine motor control, they have a wide-based stance and they are not sure on their feet, said Pelt.
Although most dogs overcome their symptoms within a day, pet owners should still treat their dogs "getting high" very seriously. "[Marijuana] needs to be treated like any other drug. If you came home with a prescription of Vicodin from your doctor, you wouldn't just leave it sitting there," said Meola.
PTSD & More Animal Psych Disorders: