Blackie the 19-Year-Old Dog Needs a New Home

the daily dish More on PawNation: Adoption, Causes, Dogs, Heart-Warming, Senior Dogs, Senior Pets, Talented, The Dish
Worried about getting old? Blackie will make you feel better. According to the (U.K.) Daily Mail, Blackie is 19 years old (that's 133 in dog years), and is staying at the Battersea Dog and Cats Home in London.

Staff at the shelter believe that the graying pooch is the oldest to spend time at Battersea, but he certainly doesn't act the part. Blackie spends most of his time running around the kennels, going on walks and playing with toys. Due to his enthusiasm and good health, the shelter is optimistic they will find a new home for this old-timer.

Blackie is just one of the increasing number of senior pets finding themselves in shelters during their retirement years. Like Blackie, most of these pets are full of life and are looking for loving homes to live out their twilight time. The number of older animals at Battersea has increased by two thirds in the past five years. Even with the rise is retirement-age pets, Blackie still remains the oldest to stay at Battersea since the facility opened in 1860.

RELATED: 50 Cutest Adoptable Pit Bulls

"Blackie's owners assured us he is 19, and we can't find any record of an older dog ever arriving at Battersea," Philip Heron, operations manager at Battersea, said to the Daily Mail. "A 15-, 16- or 17-year-old dog isn't such a rare sight in our kennels, but a 19-year-old is a real record-breaker for Battersea. Blackie still has lots of love to give, so we're searching for a special home for him."

RELATED: 50 Cutest Adoptable Mutts

While Heron and his staff are happy to find Blackie a home, they also see the dog as a reminder to owners that pets are a full-time commitment. Now that better food and health care are available for animals, owners must be prepared to offer love and care for 20 years or more.

Meet More of the World's Oldest Animals:

Dennis Faulkner

I had a LLaso or Maltese mix that I got from the Gaines Street shelter in San Diego, she was 15 when I got her, and she lived to be 22 - she had one really bad bout with Old Age Vestibular Syndrome, which is similar to our vertigo - which she recovered from.
She went on long walks almost till the end of our life - such a neat dog!

September 18 2012 at 3:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hey You

My dogs have always been my joy, I think people who don't time to really get to understand their dogs are missing out on a lot. They tie them to a doghouse and never give it a second thought, they fight them for money uncaring the pain the dogs are in. I understand dogs and they know it. In exchange I have found one of life's greatest joys. Unconditional love and companionship. It's a shame people don't take the the time to understand how smart and caring dogs are. When you understand them they are amazing.

September 17 2012 at 9:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Baron hans Vongress

My oldest toy fox terrier Spot was 21 when she died from a stroke.
We lost our oldest chi last year and she was 20 yrs old.
If you take good care, dental, good wholesome food (with out all those grains etc) good exercise and a small bit of wine and beer on occassion, they can live good long lives.
God Bless all the animals and creatures HE has given to us.
Pax+

September 17 2012 at 8:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
as1612

My Dottie Anne passed away last year at the age of 21. Two days later, her best buddy, Spartacus passed away at the age of 13. Dottie Anne was battling time and Spartacus was battling cancer. Until the very end, they held onto one another- cat and dog bonded since they met. I truly hope that Blackie will find a new forever home and that he will know what it is to be loved until the very end.

September 17 2012 at 8:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
siscosdad

I, too, hope my dog lives to be 19, unfortunately, he is large, and smaller, cross-bred animals are longer lived...immune to almost anything. As to abandoning Blackie, having a dog is like having a child. If you buy or adopt a dog, you owe him good food, shelter, toys, exercise, attention and love, just like a kid. You have to clean up their messes and take them to the doctor for shots and always have a dish of fresh water handy for them. They need to be socialized and obedient; they need to know how to behave around people and other dogs. It's a 24/7 job, but the rewards are great. They will guard and protect you, they will love you, they will always be there for a hug if you need one. They are better than a best friend because they will never criticize, never be too busy to pay attention to you. You know, there are 1.2 billion Muslims in the world, and they hate dogs, say they are filthy animals. I never met a dog who was intentionally filthy, and in fact dogs become distressed when they are not clean. Most of all, dogs are great people. I'd be lost without mine.

September 17 2012 at 7:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pamc76@netzero.net

i will be very grateful if my dog lives to be 19

September 17 2012 at 7:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
simplespirit1

I totally agree! I think the people who dropped him off are despicable. How traumatic for Blackie! Unbelievable.

September 17 2012 at 5:58 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
lilspicey

Whenever you take a pet, you make it a life long commitment. They are animals, yes, but they are also part of your family and will die for you. A pet is the only being in existence that will love you no matter what, even if you are cruel to it, so be kind, take responsibility. I am a terminally ill patient, and I was forced to give up two of my service dogs because the apartmnet didn't allow them. They didn't care about my situation and said so . I gave them to a friend of mine who has had them for 2 years now. I have recently moved and can now have one back. I chose the older one. I had raised her and I miss her so much. The younger one I had less than a year and was still a pup when he took them, so he loves him. I decided for the dog, that he should stay with my friend whom he has lived with longer and loves, but my older one, still grieves over me, and she will return home in 3 weeks. A friend is driving her out to me since I can not make the trip. My family will once again be intact.

September 17 2012 at 5:48 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to lilspicey's comment
simplespirit1

Shame on the apartment management! Glad to hear you are getting your precious dog back, and very compassionate choice to let your friend keep the young one. Our prayers are with you.

September 17 2012 at 5:59 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

Sick people, what kind of person leaves their 19yr old dog in a shelter. I only hope that when the time comes these people get dumped in a nursing home with no one to visit them and end up alone and heartbroken just like they did to their dog. They make me sick to my stomach. Even that is not punishment enough.

September 17 2012 at 5:36 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

I hate people, how could they leave their 19 yr old pet in a shelter. Wait till they get old and their family dumps in a nursing home. They do not deserve better. Makes me sick to my stomach.

September 17 2012 at 5:33 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply