Second Person Contracts Plague From Cat in Oregon

the daily dish More on PawNation: Cats, Disease, Safety, The Plague, Weird
A woman and man were attacked by a stray cat after they attempted to help the animal that was choking on a rodent in Oregon. According to The (U.K.) Daily Mail, the woman began to show symptoms of the plague four days after the attack. Luckily, she was treated with antibiotics at a Portland hospital. She survived the infection due to early detection.

Paul Gaylord, the male victim, was not as lucky. He spent a month on life support due to the illness. His fingers and toes were left blackened by the bacteria, and he had to get them amputated. Gaylord feels very lucky to have survived. "I do feel lucky. I'm going to have a long row to hoe but at least I have one."

The plague is spread through the bite of infected fleas or through direct contact with an infected animal or person. Although the plague is generally associated with the Middle Ages, the woman is the 18th person sickened by the disease since 1934. If a plagued person goes untreated, they can die within four days.

15 Diseases People Can Get From Pets:

meowmix962009

Well im glad the only defense that defenders of the plague have is that anyone who dislikes the fact that this cat almost killed two people should be banned. I simply came up with a solution to protect people.

September 18 2012 at 3:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aquilus Domini

This is not a disease that is unnoticeable. Cats get lumpy (because of swelled lymph nodes) and get ulcers in the mouth and become very diseased looking in a short period of time. Don't let your cats eat mice, rats or squirrels. Keep them flea free with meds or baths if they get fleas. Really, keep your cats indoors for the best way to keep plague out of your life and your cat's life. Plague kills them in about 7 days. It kills people in short order too. Prevention is the best route!

September 18 2012 at 2:22 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
daibee

To prevent this plague from spreading, the sick cat has to be euthanized.

September 18 2012 at 2:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lindalawrence

My heart breaks for the sick cats.

September 17 2012 at 6:52 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Lola Medusa

Good luck mlmcconn, I won't be back to this board. I will leave you to battle it out with meowmix. But remember, it will be hard to have an intelligent and informed conversation with someone who is not only ignorant but obviously has a closed and twisted mind. The black cat and witch and bucket comment said it all. Oh, I have done rescue work, and have gotten scratched and bitten from strays (cats & dogs) that were scared and I have never gotten sick. I took care of the wound right away and I was ok. In fact I adopted two of those strays and they became the most loving and affectionate cats to me and the dogs. All animals will react out of fear.

September 17 2012 at 6:43 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Lola Medusa

Mimcconn you are so right. Fleas are the cause of plague. Hey meowmix, you can bring fleas in on your shoes, sandals, walk in the grass where rats have been and you can get bitten. Your own dogs can pick up fleas from infected rats. My vet told me that people who do not even have cats or pets have gotten fleas in their house from bringing them in on their clothes, shoes. OMG ignorance is truly one of the most dangerous things. Yes, report your comments, not about protecting from Black Plague about how you would do it. and the idiot reason behind it. Rat population need to be controlled. That other person, said what you are advocating is just like yelling fire in a crowed theater, she was right. My cats are indoor cats for that reason not only to keep them safe from disease, but from lunatics like you, oh, even my dogs can pick up fleas from a diseased rat while they are playing outside. I read about the little girl, who got it from the dead rat, she had flea bites on her....you want to blame that on a cat too? Anyone spewing hate and violence towards people or animals should be banned from the boards.

September 17 2012 at 6:31 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
meowmix962009

You are going to report my comments on how people can defend themselves against the black plague?

September 17 2012 at 6:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to meowmix962009's comment
misticsrv

WOW.. YOU are a Serial Killer in the making.. You need to change your name from meowmix to serialkillergonnabe!!! There is something SERIOUSLY wrong with you. You might want to do your homework a little better cause your facts are completely WRONG. The Black Plague was NOT and DID NOT have a damn thing to do with CATS first of all, secondly, RATS were NOT the primary cause of the Plague. FACT: How the disease was spread: The Black Death was spread by fleas that were CARRIED by rats or other small RODENTS!! So, maybe you should drown that furry little HAMSTER you have since that is a RODENT!! You need to be put on a "Watch List" as a possible "Danger To Society" individual. I bet your the type of guy that runs around singing "Ring Around the Rosie" too, aren't you? What a F****** idiot you are. You are a prime example of why some wild animals still eat their young and why abortions should still be legal in some cases. YOU are a sick individual with no morals. You put NO value on life. SERIOUSLY.. YOU NEED TO GET SOME PROFESSIONAL HELP BEFORE SOMEONE HURTS YOU.. REALLY YOU DO!! HAVE A NICE DAY NOW.. ;-)

September 17 2012 at 7:00 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Lola Medusa

I have never seen such a sick individual, with such a completely warped mind and way of thinking. Devil, witches. I am going to report your comments, because you seem to be advocating animal abuse, cruelty and killing, by talking about those water buckets and how all strays should be put to sleep. You are the one that is evil not the cats. I guess to your way of thinking, the people who spread disease to one another should also be euthanized? Swine flu, avian flu. I guess you just want everything dead. You seriously need mental help, like the other person said, you are a danger. I have two dogs, and three cats and they are ALL wonderful loving little furry ones. All sleep together and play together. Get help and get the hate out of your heart and mind. I won't be coming back to this board. Don't need to read the ravings of a lunatic.

September 17 2012 at 5:50 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
mlmcconn

The plague was spread in medieval Europe by fleas on rats. Rats that were allowed to run rampant because mental midgets were burning women & their cats as witches. Cats kill rats, fleas on rats carry the plague, not cats. If you euthanize all the stray cats, the rat population will explode. Then we will be seeing more incidents of plague, not to mention all the other diseases spread by rates

September 17 2012 at 5:36 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
paralegalfeline

You are a danger, you probably abuse animals. It amazing that I didn't see that story, but I remember a story like that and it turned out that the animal was sick. You should change your name from meowmix to something else, something that shows your true colors. I had a cat who was diabetic and had to get needle twice a day with insulin, and he would lay there and purr and let me help him. WOW what happened in your life that filled you with such hate. You have a problem, and I will no longer engage in comments with you, you apparently come on this site to bait people and spew your hate. Good luck with your life, you will need it.

September 17 2012 at 4:44 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply