Save the NYC Horses

randall says More on PawNation: All Pets, Causes, Horses, Petition, Sad, Safety, Save NYC Horses

Hey, lovers! As you know, I was born and raised in New York City, the hub of fashion, glamour, the best theater, the greatest restaurants and, shockingly, home to more than 200 sad and abused horses. What?! You mean those cute carriage horses? Yes, those romantic images of carriage horses gliding through a snowy Central Park are simply an illusion. The reality of this situation is these poor horsies live miserable lives, and it is up to us to save them. Did you know that, on average, an NYPD horse will live roughly 15-17 years, while carriage horses tend to last no more than 4 years of life? Hopefully, that woke you up just a little.

RELATED: Does Your Dog Have ADD or ADHD?

This issue has recently come into the public consciousness (once again) due to an incident back on Aug. 16, 2012. A sweet horse named Oreo was pulling his carriage in traffic when he got spooked by a loud noise. He bolted. Rightfully so! I mean, give me a break! He was greatly injured, as were his passengers. He was found waiting at a red light behind a car, trying to get back to his stable. So sad. This is but one of the many horrible incidents involving carriage horses. Horses have been hit, maimed and killed. I mean, what the heck is an innocent horse doing stuck in traffic?! This is 2012, right? Or is it 1812? I'm sorry, but last I checked, the Amish lived mainly in Pennsylvania (where, coincidentally, many of these horses come from), not in Manhattan. Horses should be roaming in pastures. We have cars now! Get these sweet creatures out of hot, fume-filled, urban landscapes and out into nature where they belong.

Here's the low-down, lovers: right now there are roughly 204 carriage horses working in New York City. By law, they can work nine hours per day, seven days per week. They are supposed to get a 15-minute break every two hours, but there is no way to enforce this. The "carriage horse police?" Puh-lease!

It is illegal for a driver to operate his carriage if it is above 90 degrees or below 18 degrees. Unfortunately these numbers do not take into account humidity levels or wind chill. So if the thermometer reads 89 degrees, no problem! "Move it, horsey!" Even if it feels like 100 degrees and the heat is rising up from the hot black asphalt? "Up yours," says the horse! In the summer of 1988, three horses died from heat exhaustion. Thus, a law was created restricting when and where the horses could work. However, in 1994, the law was weakened by lengthening the horses' work hours while expanding their "work areas," which includes traffic-congested midtown Manhattan, where they spend their days sucking in nasty fumes, nose to tail-pipe. Gross!

And FYI, these horses are required by law to be get five weeks of vacay a year, but low and behold, there's no way of enforcing this law and is most likely not being upheld. The ASPCA Humane Law Enforcement Department is supposed to be in charge of monitoring the horses' treatment, but there are hardly enough agents to keep up with the proper monitoring of the horses (Good grief, all 200 of them? Whoa, watch out! That's way too many... not!). Law also states the horses' stalls are to be a minimum of 60 square feet, less than half of what is recommended by equine experts, all of whom recommend 144 square feet for a standard-size horse, with 196 square feet for larger-breed horses. They have absolutely no room to comfortably lie down and are not given the proper bedding to be even mildly comfortable.

The list of mistreatments towards these horses goes on and on, and frankly, it makes me cry. Their grains are spread out on the street where it can mix with dirt and glass, they don't get enough water (especially in the hot summer), and many of the horses forced into this stupid "industry" already have pre-existing injuries or arthritis. And so there they are, forced to pull carriages with heavy tourists weighing up to 7,800 pounds. When they can no longer do their job, they are "retired." Many of them go to auction where they are bought by "killer buyers" for the slaughterhouse. Enjoy your ride, tourists!

So what exactly is being done and what can we do to help?

RELATED: Mystery Monkey of Tampa Tapped As Honey Badger Party Official

New York State Senator Tony Avella and New York Assembly member Linda B. Rosenthal co-sponsored a bill calling for a ban on the operation of horse-drawn carriages in New York City. The bill also calls to save the horses from slaughter auctions. And yeah, Mayor Bloomberg supports the carriage horse "industry" because he says "it helps New York City tourism." Yeah, because it's oh-so very, very hard finding ways to get tourists to visit New York City. Puh-lease with that horses---!

London, Beijing, Paris and Toronto all have bans on the inhumane horse-drawn-carriage industry. Let's join them and do the same for Manhattan! Please visit these links, watch my video and help me make a change. Saving ourselves starts with saving our animals. Spread the word, share this information and demand the end of cruelty! Sign the petition:

You can also donate or sponsor a rescued horse at http://www.equineadvocates.org/

Write a letter right now to Mayor Bloomberg who supports the carriage-horse "industry," and let him know how you feel about this inhumane practice:

Mayor R. Bloomberg
City Hall
New York, NY 10007

or email him: www.nyc.gov/html/mail/html/mayor.html

or call 212-NEW-YORK

Thank you!

xoxo,
Randall

Randall

Buck Brannaman supports the NYC carriage horses because Buck is looking to make a buck! LOLOL

Randall =)
xoxo

September 08 2012 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric Nix

Randall! Get your facts straight will you. The only cruelty the horses see is with idiot Animal rights activist screaming at them and the drivers! I have lived with, cared for and worked with horses most all of my life ( I`m 52) and both Valerie and TheBarnRules are 100% correct in their facts.
Did you know that Buck Brannaman supports the NYC carriage horses?

From his book, The Faraway Horses:

Next on my schedule were a couple of young women from MTV and Rolling Stone magazine. One of them asked, “What about those poor horses in Central Park? Don’t you think it’s awful how they have to pull those heavy carriages all day?”.

ove attention and affection as much as we do.

The horses that people should be concerned about are the neglected ones that, after the “newness” of ownership wears off, live in box stalls all day. These horses have no purpose, no jobs to do. All they do is eat and make manure. Even prisoners get to exercise more than these horses, and the horses have never done anything wrong. If they had the choice, these horses would choose to be carriage horses rather than stand in their stalls.

Buck Brannaman, The Faraway Horses, page 251.

September 08 2012 at 10:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Eric Nix's comment
Randall

LOLOLOL Oh, Eric--Your hypocrisy truly made me laugh out loud! I laugh at anyone who claims to be a "horse lover" yet supports these sick carriage rides in NYC. LOLOL I commend you on your amazing ability to "cut & paste"! You should be proud! FYI-your lover, TheBarnRules already quoted from that book and guess what--I still don't give a "Buck"! PS-in the future, please address me as you would your horse--I do not deserve to be spoken down to simply for having the ability to share my opinion with the world. Did you simply "skim" my article and jump to the comments? Did you watch my video? It's simple: if NYC hadn't any cars, I wouldn't feel the way I do. Fact is, NYC is extremely congested with vehicles. Did you know that? Are you from Manhattan? Or are you spewing your venom from the mid-west as well? LOLOL Here's a quote for the three of you:
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” - Mahatma Gandhi

BOOM--Next!

Randall =)
xoxo

September 08 2012 at 1:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thebarnrules

I stand corrected as to Randall's identity. My apologies for jumping to conclusions.

September 07 2012 at 2:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rebeccasgancohen

Laura- Ive read all your many comments. I see you are a lawyer- for the record- do you have any professional affiliation with the pro-horse carriage side of this argument? It seems strange to me that you choose to devote so much of your time to defending this industry. You actualy seem like one of those crazy extreme animal activists, but just on the other side. I am not a lawyer, nor an animal rights extremist, just a person who hates to see horses having to spend their days in hectic NYC traffic and noise. I believe horses deserve to be out to pasture, given time to graze and play with their friends. Isn't that obvious? Especially to a horse-woman like yourself. You say that NY-CLASS only cares about money- well, that's all Bloomberg and all you- pro carriage horse people are fighting for as well, isn't it. As for your attacks on Randall- he is not an extreme activist and your crazy accusation that he is that guy you found on myspace is dead wrong. Why don't you check your facts, Laura.

September 07 2012 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to rebeccasgancohen's comment
thebarnrules

I have no professional affiliation with the carriage horses. I just hate seeing good people viciously maligned.

I've already posted an apology for my miss-identification of Randall.

I notice you have not responded to any of the facts I posted - just a fishing expedition on me. Interesting...

September 07 2012 at 2:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bigbangakong

If it is wrong to love you, then my heart just won’t let me be right.

September 06 2012 at 9:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rebeccasgancohen

TheBarnRules- who are you and why are you in such adamant support of the NYC carriage horse indusrty? Are you just really passionate about these horses pulling carriages in traffic? Since you are such an upright citizen and so confident in your position on this issue- please let us know who you are and why you are such a staunch supporter of the carriage horse industry.
My name is Rebecca Sgan-Cohen. I am a NYC native and I have seen carriage horses all my life and the sight of them never fails to make me cry. There is nothing sadder than seeing a beautiful horse stuck behind a NYC bus. It's awful. You don't have to be an expert to note this- you just need to have a heart.

September 06 2012 at 6:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to rebeccasgancohen's comment
TheBarnRules

My name is Laura McFarland-Taylor. Though I now live in Illinois, I’ve lived in the tri-state area and worked in Manhattan for years. I’m also a horsewoman. I support the NYC carriage horses because they are well-taken care of and I hate liars.

What is your experience with horses? Have you been in the stables? I have.

Did you read anything I wrote? If you have specific questions or comments, please, let’s hear them.

September 07 2012 at 11:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to TheBarnRules's comment
TheBarnRules

I believe I have found "Randall" - note the address of the official honey badger headquarters: http://honeybadger2012.com/; and then look at the owner of that site: http://www.myspace.com/aspiralarchitect/photos/17183894#{22%3A17183894}

Add the obvious toupee and add big glasses...

Oh! And wait! He's in real estate too! http://carveyourdestiny.com/the-get-inspired-zone/visionaries-carving-their-destiny/rudy-arnauts-building-new-paradigm/

Good God, could you be any more obvious?

September 06 2012 at 6:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Valerie

Not to also mention that your "average working life of 4 years" for a carriage horse is absolutely 100% FALSE. Where did you get this data? Oh, wait...let me guess. PETAs great page of misinformation and downright LIES. Carriage horses live well into their 30's, as they have been doing light exercise for years. Carriage horses are some of the fittest, healthiest, well adjusted horses out there. Take off your deception goggles, and open your eyes to the facts. Don't just vomit lies out of your "mouth" that you read on the internet.

September 06 2012 at 6:26 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
TheBarnRules

And one last thing: Did you know that Buck Brannaman supports the NYC carriage horses?

From his book, The Faraway Horses:

I had an answer for that question “No, I don’t,” I said, then explained that the Central Park horses are content. Pulling carriages on rubber-rimmed wheels on paved streets is a low-stress job, and the horses are calm and relaxed, not anxiously laying their ears back or wringing their tails. Plus, these horses get lots of attention and affection from passerby. And horses love attention and affection as much as we do.

Buck Brannaman, The Faraway Horses, page 251.

September 05 2012 at 7:47 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
TheBarnRules

Oh, and by the way: Did you know that according to the American Lung Association's "State of the Air" report, New York County, NY (i.e., Manhattan) has better air quality than Lancaster County, PA (Amish country) or Hunterdon County, NJ (where anti-carriage-horse real estate developer Steve Nislick, co-founder of NYnoCLASS, keeps his personal eventing horses). Here is the link for the State of the Air report: http://www.stateoftheair.org/; here's a link to the EPA where you can search for more air quality information: http://www.epa.gov/airdata/

September 05 2012 at 7:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply