Pit Bulls Damage Van Trying to Attack Kitten Hidden in Engine

the daily dish More on PawNation: Adoption, Cats, Dogs, Kittens, Pit Bulls, PitBulls, Rescue, The Dish, Weird
This cat is using up its nine lives fairly fast. According to The (Palm Springs, Calif.) Desert Sun, a small, female kitten survived a 25-mile ride in a van's engine after hiding in the vehicle for protection from four attacking canines.

Palm Springs police say the little cat crawled into the car the night before she was discovered. The animal was seeking shelter from the car owner's four Pit Bulls, who were chasing after the kitten. Though the kitten was tucked away safe in the engine compartment of the van, the dogs still tried to reach the newborn, tearing apart the front bumper of the car and popping a tire. The next morning, the owner saw the damage and changed the tire, but was unaware of why his dogs attacked the car.

He found out soon enough. After driving 25 miles to Palm Springs, Calif. the owner discovered the kitten in the front bumper of his van. Authorities were called to the scene. 40 minutes and one removed bumper later, the cat was free from her hideout.

Following her great escape, the kitten was taken to a nearby animal hospital, where doctors determined she was 7 weeks old and in good health. Police named the kitten Fender-Linx for where she was found and her exotic appearance. Fender-Linx is now at the Palm Springs Animal Shelter, which is hopefully her final pit stop before finding a home.

50 Adorable and Adoptable Pit Bulls:

liltaquita

Most people say "blame the owners" and while that may be true in a lot of cases, I prefer to say, "blame the breeder." Most pit bulls in now-happy homes are sometimes a result from rescues, whether its from a fighting ring or abuse, its not from a good situation. Puppies that are bred for fighting reasons are normally bred to be "crazy." The people who fight dogs, don't care about a clean lineage, just a crazy and aggressive one

August 30 2012 at 4:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
richardcntrll

Hey moronic apologists for this despicable breed...."my dog is sweet, loving & not dangerous at all" my idiot neighbor says " I've smoked cigarettes for 40 years, and don't have lung cancer"(yet), therefore the conclusion that smoking is the highest risk factor for lung cancer is absurdly prejudicial to lighting up".Really? Your own personal experience with pit bulls trumps the objective data on this unnecessary killer breed?Really?I hope you' re firing one up as you marinate in your stupidity.

August 30 2012 at 10:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to richardcntrll's comment
blackrose420.jennie

It's not the dog's fault, the owner should have been watching the dogs more carefully. And especially at night, what are four dogs, pitbulls or not, doing outside without supervision? It is not a despicable breed, there are some good and some bad, because of their upbringing. It depends on the owner, so stop trying to compare it to smoking because it's really nothing alike, it's about a living being.

September 02 2012 at 10:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
accsport

That kitten is just adorable. I've grown up around these dogs with family members owning several without a hiccup and the current Red Nose looks like the poster child for these ads where people complain about them yet this dog has proven to be the most lovable and friendly lap lump a dog could be although at about 80lbs he does make quite a lump trying to get settled in your lap. If "People" would not abuse the breed there would not be problems with them.

August 29 2012 at 10:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
merrygold

We did pit rescue while living in a major city. We had a batch of puppies most of the puppies were super. We had them for just a day. That night while sitting watching television one of the puppies got up from her bed walked over and started attacking my two year old biting her in the face. This was NOT play! This was out right attack behavior. Even though the dog was a puppy my daughter needed an ER visit. And NO, my daughter did NOTHING to provoke it! Nor had she done much more than pet the puppy during the day while supervised. We NEVER let the little children alone with puppies. One of our jobs was to acclimate puppies to children. While any dog can bite there just seems to be a LOT more of it with pits. All one has to do is google the statistics on dog bites. You can see the breeds most likely to bite. The other problem from anyone who has seen it is that when they do bite their jaws are just so powerful that the wound tends to be much worse.

August 24 2012 at 5:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
So sue me.

Exception to every rule-why risk it?

August 24 2012 at 5:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to So sue me.'s comment
Angie

If that is the case, why own any dog at all. All animals have a risk factor of hurting someone.

August 27 2012 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Angie's comment
Ian K Shields

Because "any dog" doesn't have the death-and-destruction market cornered the way the pit bull does.

August 28 2012 at 1:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down
Tammy

Now see, this just validates my earlier claims this past week on pit bulls. I had made a comment based on a story I read about a Georgia woman being killed by her dogs after she spent years rescuing animals. I got so much hate mail stating how they shouldn't have put the dogs down, its not the breed, its the owners, etc..., all the typical PETA freaks who take their obsession a little to far. I love animals. But in these dogs case, there valid reasons why most states nation wide have restrictiveness of ownership of them. For one, most news stories that cover these incidents always has someone being interviewed that says stuff like, "Gee Skippy was always a friendly dog of 8 yrs. I don't know why he ate little Bobby for no reason". Secondly, yes all dogs have the same ability to bite and yes little dogs are typically more openly short fused. But when Pit Bull's bite vs a toy poodle, their bites are a mauling. Their jaws are instant death traps. If a toy poodle bites, no it isn't fun, but their bites never make the news. They don't bite until dead. This isn't even the soft flesh of a person or another animal. They were trying to get to an animal and the killed the van - METAL! That says something about their jaws. The proof is in the picture. How can anyone dispute this one.

August 24 2012 at 5:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tammy's comment
blackrose420.jennie

Well then I would love to know why the owner got the dogs in the first place. FOUR of them at that. Responsible ownership starts there. The owner has to know the risks and if they couldn't handle keeping them from attacking like that, the owner shouldn't have them.

September 02 2012 at 11:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TekBoi

Pit bulls are banned in so many places all across the world for good reason. It's never the dog's fault, it's the owners'. I don't raise bears in my basement and then complain when one of them eats my children or decapitates my head on accident.

Stop being stupid people, and stop breeding these vicious animals. There are plenty of non-vicious animals that don't bark for no reason.

August 24 2012 at 3:12 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Denise Chatham

My sister had a pit bull. He grew up around cats and kids, never bit anyone, she never had a problem with him. My coworker has a pit bull that she brings to work. She growls at people she doesn't know (she growled at me the first time she met me, and now insists that I pet her when she comes in), but hasn't bitten anyone. My brother was given a pit bull puppy and at four months old, she ripped apart the neighbors dog (her playmate) with no provocation.
Point? It's not guaranteed that a pit bull will be any more vicious than any other dog, and it is not always the owner's fault a pit bull is vicious. Sometimes a vicious dog is a vicious dog, no matter what the breed.
The problem with pit bulls is the strength of their jaws, and that is what makes them a fearful animal *if* they are vicious.

August 24 2012 at 1:03 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Denise Chatham's comment
Ian K Shields

Simple solution:

Don't get a pit bull. Nobody "needs" one. Nobody has to bother to sort out the psychos at all.

The world does not need pit bulls, for any reason. Period. Get another breed of dog, already!

August 28 2012 at 2:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
caffiedean

Problem is identifying which ones have the potential to be vicious. It is usually too late. There are enough evil ones out there to rightfully give them the bad name they deserve. They can be cold hearted killers. Who in their right mind would raise one knowing the killing potential they have. And they are ugly too. My dog and I were attacked over the weekend by a pit bull. We were very lucky to come out unscathed, thankfully enough people intervened. The pitbull jumped right through the window screen and attacked unprovoked. It’s almost as if they kill for sport.

August 24 2012 at 12:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to caffiedean's comment
saku

You know you could say that about humans too, only there are humans who enjoy killing understand what they are doing to others unlike animals. So who is truly evil here something running on instinct or someone who has a choice.

August 24 2012 at 3:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wa

I hate pit bulls and this is a perfect example why!

August 23 2012 at 11:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply