Puppy Swallows Sock Whole, Lives to Bark About It

the daily dish More on PawNation: Dogs, Funny, Puppies, Weird
We've heard of pets polishing off pretty much everything, but a whole sock? You'd think he would have at least chewed it up a bit first.

According to WJW-TV, Koda Bear, a blue-eyed, 5-month-old Husky was playing a game of "keep away" with his sister, Bolt. Suddenly, the sock was gone. Their owner, Paige Mutual, said that it all happened so fast.

"The first lap around, the sock was in his mouth. The second lap around, the sock was gone."

The sock had found its way down Koda Bear's throat and into his stomach. Mutual immediately rushed Koda Bear to Blue Pearl Veterinary Hospital and met with internal-medicine specialist Dr. Melanie Otte.

Luckily for Koda Bear and Mutual, Dr. Otte did not have to perform surgery. She did, however, have to give the hungry dog an endoscopy.

"It's a long tube with a camera on the end, and I can just run instruments through it, grab the sock and pull it out," said Otte. The sock was removed after a 15-minute procedure.

Mutual plans to keep her dogs out of the laundry room from now on.


Add a Comment

*0 / 3000 Character Maximum


Filter by:

A sock is nothing. Try a blanket. Whole. No clue how it happened, but the dog, a doberman, was with us at the vet during the day (moved back to the emergency vet at night, the only time they were open) for 3 weeks until ultimately passing away. The X-rays are still stuck in my mind.

One of our techs also had a golden that ate half a tennis ball whole. She said it was tons of fun when it came out the other end ... and she still has no clue how it managed to make it out.

August 02 2012 at 1:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Baron hans Vongress

We had a half wolf, half st bernard sweet guy Barney and he loved socks.
One time he had a sick and sucked it down, we did not know he had done it.
The next day, thank the Lord it came out of his butt and we had to with gloves gently pull it out....after that the laundry door was locked with a key as he could open the knob...
he lived to the age of 10 dying from cancer.
Barney was a sweet ball of fluff and a gentle giant.

August 01 2012 at 6:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I hear you Brandon...our yellow lab has eaten so many socks we have lost count. Don't quite know how this is news either I just laughed. The longest our dog ever had it in her stomach was about a week otherwise she'll throw it up.

August 01 2012 at 5:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

This happens with our dog on a regular basis. He's swallowed at least 8 and they usually show up a day or two later in various places around the house, how is this news???

August 01 2012 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Brandon's comment

Haha! I agree, this ain't news. My Saint Bernard, Bella, swallowed several as a pup, but we never knew it til she was doing her business. We've also found underwear, hairbands, etc. She never made it in the news! LOL

August 01 2012 at 5:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Around The Web

Who is Cutest?