Louisiana Tech Bulldog Mascot's Death Was Covered Up

the daily dish More on PawNation: Bulldogs, Dogs, Sad
Yesterday, we reported that Louisiana Tech University's mascot, Tech XX, had gone missing. However, according to Deadspin, the worker who claimed to last see Tech XX had actually been covering up the dog's death for four days.

Local residents and students had been on the search for Tech XX, not knowing until today that he had already died. Louisiana Tech and Dr. Patrick Sexton (owner and caretaker) released statements stating that the death was accidental. However, the Sexton Animal Health Care employee had not informed anyone about the tragic news.

Dr. Sexton stated, "Regretfully, I learned this morning that through negligence of an employee, Tech XX was left outside too long on Sunday evening and passed away from a heat stroke. That employee unfortunately chose to handle it the wrong way and attempted to cover it up. Due to this negligence, the employee is no longer employed by Sexton Animal Health Center."

We send our condolences to the Sexton family and everyone at Louisiana Tech University.

ANIMALS IN MOURNING:

bkatamom

I havee two bulldogs, you never ever leave them out in heat or cold its inexcuseable

August 05 2012 at 8:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carolynknupp

Really Kathleen? The poor tech? OMG! Do you have any inclination what the physical pain is prior to having a heat stroke? Maybe you should google it and then put yourself in TechXX's place. The "poor person" my ass........the "poor person" was obviously in air conditioning for the hours that TechXX was left outside. Also, did you forget he/she covered up the death? What does that say to that person's character? This needs to be a criminal mark on their record for the rest of their lives as it resulted in a DEATH DUE TO NEGLIGENCE!

August 02 2012 at 11:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carolynknupp

We have 2 bulldogs so this hits home for us. I am hopeful that the ASPCA will pursue this stupid ass former employee and criminal charges are brought up against him/her. If not then a petition should be started demanding criminal charges be filed. Maybe the American kennel club could also intervene? Does anyone have any connections out there to get this ball rolling?

August 02 2012 at 11:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cutebbwcandy

That is so sad. I had two English Bulldogs in the past and any Bulldog owner, trainer, or the like should know that Bulldogs are very sensitive to heat. They get over heated very easy.

RIP doggie.

August 02 2012 at 10:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stephanie Cosme

I have a 13 year old pug and I would never leave him out very long in this heat. So sad that Tech had to suffer this way. My thoughts and prayers are with his owners and the school.

August 02 2012 at 10:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Deels

Well maybe the cops will "forget" and leave them in the cop car for a few days? What a dip! I bet if you searched you would find they were texting, playing games, smoking, talking doing every thing but their job!

August 02 2012 at 9:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathleen

You people should have a little compassion for the poor person who left the dog out or forgot he was out not just for the dog. So he had a brain freeze hasn't anyone had that problem or are you all just superior, who never make a mistakes! I not one to quote the bible but Im certain Ive learned that God has compassion for all!

August 02 2012 at 9:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Kathleen's comment
mate1974

Ok, Kathleen, so I guess if I had a brain freeze and forgot to keep pushing my baby carriage all the way across the street because I was window shopping and my baby dies from a car accident, the cops would just say, oh, god will forgive you!! Some things are unforgiveable and this is one of them!!!

August 02 2012 at 10:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nsharonluk

Are you serious???? You leave a defenseless, dependent animal out in the heat, with NO way to escape it and you want sympathy????? I want accountability and responsibility!!! They were supposed to be CARING for the dog. I do MY JOB and do not make excuses. I work in a Lab, people DIE when I make a mistake, SO I DON'T.
It's quite simple, you follow the rules and double check yourself... As if God has anything to do with this.......Pleezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

August 02 2012 at 10:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paula Larson

SEMPER FI TechXX. You will be missed! I didn't know you but you're a dog and that's good enough for me. Human stupidity strikes again!

August 02 2012 at 9:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ssteeves41

I own a Bulldog one of the sweetest breeds we love him dearly. No one should ever own or work with a Bulldog unless fully informed about the breed, having said that it was total and utter stupidity and extremely sad to have been treated that way, NO ANIMAL SHOULD BE LEFT OUTSIDE IN THE HEAT and I mean NO ANIMAL.

August 02 2012 at 9:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mruedlinger1

to easy he needs to be punished, fined locked out, anything else that is legal to do. Ass Hole!!!!

August 02 2012 at 8:12 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply