Hypoallergenic Dogs Do Not Exist, Study Says

the daily dish More on PawNation: Allergies, Dog Allergies, Dogs, Health, Hypoallergenic, Labradoodles, Pet Allergies, Poodles, Spanish Water Dogs

Sorry, allergic dog lovers. A new study published in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology claims that "hypoallergenic" canines had more allergy-causing protein in their fur than did dogs without the label.

According to Live Science, the report concluded that "the term 'hypoallergenic' is a misnomer that is not based on evidence."

Dog breeds classified as 'hypoallergenic' -- Poodles, Spanish Water Dogs, Labradoodles -- were believed to produce less dander and saliva, and shed less fur. However, researchers at the Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, Mich. found no scientific basis to support this claim.

RELATED: Pesty Pets Q and A

Researchers tested the theory by measuring environmental allergen levels in 173 houses of dog owners one month after a newborn baby was brought home. After collecting dust samples from the floor of each baby's bedroom, scientists measured the levels of the dog allergen Can f 1.

The study found that in homes where the dog was not allowed in the baby's bedroom, the allergen level for supposedly hypoallergenic dogs was slightly higher compared to allergen levels of non-hypoallergenic dogs.

Take Our Pet Health 101 Quiz

jgardengirl07

I have had three German Shepherds......am slightly allergic to dogs......am having some autoimmune problems.........want another dog but it would break my heart to have to give it away.........my dogs have been treated very well........as my family has....so I need to be sure

January 11 2013 at 7:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

!I have a Goldendoodle (Yes, I know he is a mutt! I got him as an adult, free.) and he has absolutely no shedding whatsoever! It is amazing! No hair on the sofa!
No one is allergic, so I don't know if he is hypoallergenic or not! But, he does have a lot of saliva! His whiskers and beard are always a little damp!
Like Kathleen's, our Doodle is laid back and lovable! He is also, as my teen daughter says, "thick as pudding!"
They are also prone to epilepsy, which ours does have.

July 11 2012 at 9:09 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
KATHLEEN

As the grandmother of a very cat/dog allergic grandson, I disagree with the article. My daughter and I both have Goldendoodles and he has never had a reaction to either one of them. I chose the first "Doodle" because I have had Golden Retrievers in the past but my grandson was allergic to them. I love the Golden personality and carefully researched my next dog. He is such a wonderful dog that I gave him to my daughter's family. The kids love him. I lucked into my second one and rescued her. She is laid back and loveable.

July 11 2012 at 7:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to KATHLEEN's comment
bigzuhaltern

They only tested one allergen, is it not possible that your grandson happens not to be allergic to that one? You, Kathleen, do not understand science.

In my own experience, these dogs (advertised as hypoallergenic), are more likely to make me actually itchy. The only dogs I've ever had hives from are hypoallergenic dogs. Your dismissal of the study, based on your poor reading and deductive abilities, is appalling.

July 12 2012 at 10:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bigzuhaltern's comment
paddy5200

she gently disagreed.
what is your problem.

October 03 2013 at 8:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down
Denise

Another dog to consider is a Black Russian Terrier. They have hair and not fur, which is the reason they say that these dogs are hypoallergenic. We don't have allergies to animals, but this breed is said to not cause problems. The only thing I would recommend is if you consider a black russian, that you don't raise a BRT with another dog. I know people that have got a BRT when they had another dog in the house, and the BRT becomes more clan like as opposed to a family pet. Mine was raised as the only animal besides a caged pet for the first five years and she is an awesome family pet. My neighbor's dog, raised with two standard poodles, one sickly, bites people and is very nasty. We now have a cat and that is also going well. They only shed a bit when the warmer months come and it will be like a puffy hair ball once in a while.

July 06 2012 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shoesfam

sounds like someone wrote an article to see who could bark the loudest

July 06 2012 at 1:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oz

Sounds like a study by the American Kennel Club trying to turn people away from buying mixed pets instead of ones with papers.

July 05 2012 at 7:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Oz's comment
Lisa

It wouldn't include Labradoodles then. With mixed breeds you have no idea if the puppies will take after their shed-free parent (poodle) or shedding one (often lab, golden or cocker spaniel). With purebreds you know. My 3 dogs are mixed breeds, but there are advantages to pure breeds if you want specific things in a dog.

July 11 2012 at 9:12 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Patricia

I don't know what it is about certain dogs but I am HIGHLY allergic to most dogs when I visit them at friends homes. I grew up with poodles and have two poodles and am a previous breeder. My sister has a bichon and I am not allergic to her either, but PUT ME IN A ROOM with any other dog and I SNEEZE and wheeze while my eyes itch and burn and water...sooo say what you want from your studies,,,MY POODLES are allergen free for me! Don't even mention cats,,,OMG,,the worst! I purposely bring my poodles to a groomer that doesn't accept cats and we have to be the first appointment of the day so as to not contaminate my dogs with other dogs. It makes a difference if a groomer uses the same cages, etc. We are very careful and love Boston Pets for that reason!!

July 05 2012 at 4:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rockyrox618

I have an allergy to dog dander and for me there is no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog. Every time I go to a friend's house with a hypoallergenic my asthma starts acting up. After about 12-24 hours (differs on how long it takes) at the house I start needing my inhaler every few hours. Maybe there is a difference between an allergy to dander and an allergy to the fur itself. If a person is only allergic to the fur I could see how the person won't react to a hypoallergenic dog being that dog has human hair. However, every dog has dander.

July 05 2012 at 3:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cowgirlcarolp

Dogs should be left alone and not tested or bred for stupid purposes. They are what they are and leave them alone. I foster a part Shar-pei and lab and have my pitbull and 2 cats. I have them for one purpose only and that's to love them and make them my family. Ther'ye very spoiled and it's what it is. so all you backyard breeders stop it! People like you should be inter-bred to see if you give dogs and some people like you allergies. Carol

July 05 2012 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to cowgirlcarolp's comment
Lisa

What are "stupid purposes?" What is "stupid" to you may be important to someone else. This article is about hypoallergenic dogs. That is very important to those allergic to dogs, that may NEED dogs! Service dogs for instance.
You have pets. I have pets. My dogs (and apparently yours) have one purpose only. To be loved family members, pets. But, some dogs are not just pets.
Look up the history of labradoodles. They were not for pets, and not for "stupid purposes."

July 11 2012 at 9:20 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Stan

Just wanting to mention that trusting a scientist is more like saying I trust the company paying the scientist and/or the results the scientist wants to see in this type study. I am a trained scientist who was taught to throw out the top and bottom 10% of all results as statistically invalid and arrive at my results with the remainder of the information, sometimes it is those outlying results that are the most significant. I have also done studies where the sponsor of the study came in with what they wanted the results to "prove" and was told to ignore results that did not support their position. So trust what you see as true and what is in a study that states something absurd as flawed. I looked at the actual study and the methodology and controls used in the research were not done with much regard for the scientific method and objectivity. Also, it is known that infants that are raised in homes with pets have a higher level of resistance to allergens due to improved immune systems from being inoculated daily with small levels of those allergens and are much less likely to develop asthma and other allergy issues. In addition pregnant women who are in homes with pets are more likely to bear children with no allergies, due to the child being inoculated against the allergens during gestation. The increase in a persons immune system to fight allergies, infections and illness is also seen in those who do not use hand sanitizer at every hand washing. This has the same effect; a regular small dose of an infective or allergic substance is often the "vaccination", or "cure", for that infection or allergy. So having your child use a hand sanitizer each time he touches something in public or washes his or her hands is doing the child a disservice as they will be more easily infected.

July 05 2012 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Stan's comment
nuttberry

You were 'trained' to throw out the t op and bottom 10%??!!! I have been a scientist for 35 years and I have never heard such BS. Try using a stats program on your computer - it will take everything into account and only 'throw out' those data that are statistically irrelevant.

July 05 2012 at 1:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to nuttberry's comment
facture

The person who wrote the statistics program might disagree with you. What data do you think are statistically irrelevant? There is often valid reason to disregard certain data that are far outside the top and bottom range. However throwing out any data should not be done haphazardly. I haven't seen the dog allergy study, but I have seen plenty of others that were commissioned or undertaken by parties with vested interest. There is definitely a valid point.

July 05 2012 at 2:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down