Kitten Survives 400 Mile Road Trip in a Car Bumper

the daily dish More on PawNation: Cats, Kittens, Phoenix, Road Trips, Weird
We're guessing this kitten has no urge to be on the road again. According to USA Today, a couple drove over 400 miles not knowing a kitten was stuck inside the front bumper of their car.

Before departing on the road trip from Phoenix, Ariz. to California, Russ Perry heard meowing coming from around the car. At that point, Perry didn't think much about the sound, figuring it was the neighbors' cat calling out.

The couple began their trip, making their first pit stop in Quartzsite, Ariz. After getting out of the car, Perry heard the meowing again. This time it caught his attention. Afraid that a cat got caught under the hood, he searched the engine and wheel wells, but found nothing.

RELATED: Animals in Unusual Places

Continuing on the freeway, the couple heard the meows at two more stops. Each time they searched the car, but still didn't find a furry source for the sound. Finally, after arriving in Canyon Country, Calif., the pair decided to take their vehicle to a mechanic and see what was going on.

The mechanic immediately went to work, tracing the source of the sound to a plastic guard under the front bumper. He then unbolted the guard, pried it loose and felt around. Soon enough, his hand popped out of the car holding a 5-week-old kitten.

RELATED: Solve Your Biggest Litter-Box Issues

One of the other mechanics at the shop, Jay Tallent, eagerly volunteered to give the kitten a good home. Tallent said he was drawn to the black kitten because it reminded him of his 15-year-old cat that died only five weeks before. He believes it's fate that the kitten crossed his path.

The stowaway kitten's name is Phoenix, after its original hometown.

Check out the cutest adoptable kittens in America:

welcome handsome

I love cats and dogs.they re faithfully and good companions.

June 23 2012 at 2:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Norma

When visiting my husband sister yr.s ago in Bend Oregon we found one of her kittens on the engine about 200 miles south when we stopped at a rest stop. We heard the cat meowing lifted the hood but that cat was so fast he jumped off that truck and took off we could not catch that scared cat. Sister in law didn't miss him either. True story.

June 22 2012 at 11:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tamcabral

I especially like the ending.

June 22 2012 at 10:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
txblkleon

This has to be one lame and stupid couple of the year. Most people would had the COMMON sense to inspect their vehicle for the meow.

June 22 2012 at 8:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
waltatnyc

LL ~ Pls get help soon

June 22 2012 at 7:42 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
vernsmaria

They say God takes care of babies and fools.

June 22 2012 at 7:40 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
gum255

THANK GOD THANK GOD THEY FOUND AND HELPED THAT KITTY IN TIME. I RESCUED MY CATS AND I HAVE 11 AND I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE THEM ALL SO MUCH. I STILL RESCUE AND FEED STRAYS AND I HAVE TO SAY THESE ANIMAL ARE SO HAPPY HEALTHY AND SPOILED AND I JUST STARE AT THEM PLAYING THANKING GOD HE PUT ME IN THE RIGHT PLACES TO FIND THEM BECAUSE SOME OF THEM HAD CUTS FLEAS AND I WERE AFRAID BUT AFTER DAYS THEY REALIZED I JUST WANTED TO SHOW THEM LOVE AND I BUY TOYS SUPPLIES ALL THE TIME FOR THEM THAT MY FRIENDS SAY I MADE THEM WANT TO KEEP FOOD IN THERE CAR FOR THE STRAYS

June 22 2012 at 5:33 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
mmasseysr

I think the cats name should be "Bumper"

June 22 2012 at 4:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mmasseysr

I think they should name the cat Bumper.

June 22 2012 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Missy

I hope they got permission from the owner of the kitten before giving it away.

June 22 2012 at 4:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply