By Kelli Bender
Jun 05, 2012
Just like alcohol, yeast dough also contains ethanol. Consumption of yeast dough can have the same effects, including lethargy, weakness and low body temperature. Immediate medical attention should be sought out if your dog ingests any yeast dough.
I had no idea that macadamia nuts were bad for dogs. We used to have several macadamia nut trees and my Jack Russell Terrier would occasionally spend a good ten to fifteen minutes trying to open the raw nut when it fell off the tree. It was funny to watch, he did pretty good, but only ate two or three and then lost interest. He is 12 years old now, I guess a few nuts aren't so bad, but I'd never let him have one now :)
Dogs eat pooh and it sometimes has worms that get into their system. That's why fido needs to get checked onest a year.
Careful with the raw meat, our dog developed GI tract infection after the bacteria from the meat was not being digested. We added the VitaHound supplement and the condition was cured.
Sadie Mae....you're a complete idiot if you're feeding your dog milk chocolate twice a week. It's not as dangerous as dark chocolate (you are right about that), but it is still not good for them. Why not just purchase snacks made exclusively for dogs--as those most likely will contain ingredients which are not harmful for them. Have you ever seen any dog treats with any kind of chocolate in them--milk, dark or otherwise?! No! So don't feed it to your dogs. It raises their blood pressure, causes anxiety, depression, obesity and other negative effects. Although it may not kill them, there's nothing good that can come from feeding your dog chocolate. I wish someone would feed people like you cyanide.
Jesus Christ, CALM DOWN. You are pretty vicious to people for something that probably was unknown to them. You would actually wish a human being dead for feeding a dog chocolate? You have serious anger issues.
You forgot one more thing, pennies now days have a high amount of zink in them and dogs can not handle it. a;most like a week poison I hear.
Oh no they can die from eating a penny-especially small dogs. My small Shih Tzu ate one post 1982 penny which has a zinc core, it was disintegrating in her belly and she showed all the symptoms of Leukemia and would have died if they had not removed it. They thought she had eaten something else the shape it showed up on xray. And it was sudden too, within a day of eating she went down, lethargic, and I knew something was wrong. I am glad I rushed her to the vet hospital, they said she didnt have much longer if I had waited. Beware pennies!
My little poodle ate about 3-4 yeast rolls off the radiator where they were raising. He swelled up in his belly and belched and farted for hours. He was miserable, I patted him on the back and held him like a baby over my shoulder. He survived!!1
RE: Comment by Jill Berardi. I have a 12 year old Chihuahua who started having some problems. I was feeding her boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs daily with a little bit of shredded cheese because she loves it. Our Vet informed me that too much protein is bad for dogs kidneys, and that their diet should contain at least 50% veggies. Oddly enough, dogs really aren't true carnivores and started off eating vegetation. The opposite is true for cats. They are total carnivores and should have protein almost exclusively. Cats started out eating small animals and rodents. In fact, a cat will not be satisfied with a high carb diet, and will continue eating to the point of obesity if they do not get a diet rich in protein. I couldn't believe it myself!!
My dogs, like every other dog, are scavengers and omnivores. They will probably eat anything they find. I take them running by the river and they find the most disgusting dead animals and chew them with great joy. Of course they also find leftover food from picnics, fast food in wrappers, etc. And, when they find dung, rotten fish, or anything that smells bad, they think that its Channel # 5. At home, they mostly eat dog food or whatever leftovers we feed them. This may include the left over turkey carcass from sangivin. My oldest dog is 12 and can run five miles like nothing. His diet does not seem to have any adverse effect on him.
Before ya'll panic over chocolate, it's the DARK chocolate you can't give a dog. Milk chocolate in moderation won't hurt. I had a dog that ate chocolate at least twice a week, never got sick and lived to 15 yrs. old. I also had a dog that loved salads, complete with onions and Ranch Dressing. He also lived a very long time. My Mom gave our dogs garlic when I was a kid. There was an old wives tale that it killed worms. It NEVER killed the dog. I now have a dog that's been drinking coffee since she was a puppy. She even has her own cup. Cream & sugar please (she loves the mocha coffee creamer). She'll be 17 years old in December. I don't know how dangerous the stuff mentioned in this article really is but please let common sense prevail. AND, while I'm here, beware of certain common house plants. Cats love to chew the leaves but several can be deadly. Look them up before you buy them.
You are very wrong, indeed. A rather vulgar person replied up-yop, so here's the intelligent answer: Chocolate is made from cocoa, which comes from the theobromicus family & thereby contains theobromine, which IS toxin to dogs-ALL chocolate has this, even white! Giving them less in any way/form may not kill them, but will still effect them, whether you can tell or not (all the way from their heart , to digestion, muscle/joint pain & even psychologically such as depression, and diarrhoea. Additionally for the dairy end, dogs are not equipped to digest/process lactose properly-especially in any large amount, and sugar even moreso...dealing with a diabetic dog is NO fun. It's your dog & your call, but be informed & don't fool yourself or you just may regret it...at the least your pet will suffer, even if you don't see it~
dogs/cats are carnivores. Wolves, fox,wild cats aren't out there eating in the garden. I feed my dogs dry food, but half the time they get raw food. Chicken leg quarters are cheaper then dry dog food, and 100% protein, not like "whole chicken" advertized in your dog food. Whole chicken includes feathers beaks, feet, etc...Then can digest raw bones, don't cook them. So give your dog a treat, raw meat, not veggies. I have raised and shown dogs for 30 some years. I have little dogs and a doberman, all are fine. PS my dobe would be out in the farm yard reaching up and eating the white grapes off the vine, shes fine.