By Paul Ciampanelli
Jun 03, 2012
Terri, I believe that is only raw potatoes. Dogs are omnivores, and can eat almost anything we do. Their dietary needs evolved along with everything else of theirs. Except with little dogs, which always seem to be sick with something or other because they've been selectively bred to cater to selfish human wants, and thus have inherited some of the worst genes possible. My family has always had big dogs - shepherds, Great Danes, pit bulls, mutts, and we've always given them lots of table scraps in addition to their dry food. No grapes or onions, but they've all had plenty of cooked potatoes, peanut butter, garlic, milk and cheese, and they've all had chocolate on numerous occasions. Not a lot, and not with highly concentrated amounts of cocoa. They would get Hostess chocolate cupcakes for their birthdays. None of them ever got sick, and none of them ever had digestive issues or farted a lot. The only thing that ever caused illness and eventual death due to kidney failure was those chicken jerky treats. Do not trust any of them, even if they say they're made in America - that might just be the packaging. Almost all dog treats are made in China. My Orion was a completely healthy six-year-old dog until he had those chicken jerky treats. I wish we had known.
i didn't think peanut butter was good for the dogs either. I gave a teeny tiny thing of pb to my dog and he had runny poo for a day or so.
The Importance Of A Dog's DietNothings greatly affects your dog's well-being like the diet you he feeds on, so, what makes dietso special? Let's discover more.The fact that you love your dog speaks for itself, and of course he deserves to be loved, after allhe's humanity's best friend. There is no doubt that you want to keep him in the best of health.Many ways exist for you to achieve that goal and providing a nutritious and well balanced diet isjust one of them, doing this will ensure that your pet's longevity and good health is guaranteed.http://your-dogs-diet.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-importance-of-dogs-diet.html
NOT THE COB!!!!****** Small amounts of kernel corn may be OK, but NOT THE COB. Corn cobs almost ALWAYS cause obstructions and can require expensive and life threatening surgery. I'm a veterinarian and I choked when I saw the picture of the dog with the ear of corn in its mouth. Please remove that picture from this site ASAP! Dr. L
what is safe for cats
Very good, my issue with this as well as my understanding is you don't want to give fish to male cats as their plumbing is smaller than the other gender and could result in blockage. I saw their recommendation with the salmon which makes me question everything else in the article! might be nice to see a vet chime in and make his point.
ALERT well nothing much to say. My three are my family. Only now I have to part with them as I am being evicted out of my home. Or foster her as she is a Labs, a true English at 9. She is very good and a lump on the floor. Just greets you when you come in and enjoys just laying down near your feet. Very good an a true English as she has a Otters tail. Mom is a 34 time champion. Needs someone whom will hug her every day and treat her like your own child. Sept 21 we are out of the house. And I know if I leave her at the shelter she will die of depression. That is how close she is to me. Someone whom will love her just as much as I do. Leave a message Suzetnade@aol.com
Just a note, raw salmon can be fatal to dogs. Make sure it's cooked for them too!
Our 5 month old English Bulldog is on a rice and chicken diet, because he is sensitive to corn and can only tolerate wheat in small portions. I do give him homemade treats that are peanut butter, sweet potato, pumpkin, apple and carrot. He has also gotten green beans, peas(both unseasoned) and plain yogurt to help with a tummy upset. Never feed grapes, raisins, chocolates, potatoes, onions...there are some others.
Just a few items that are known toxins , include , grapes(rasins) , chocolate , onions , and a few artificial sweeteners are just about sudden death , and of course the known antifreeze.
i use banana chips for treats. my dogs love fresh ginger and most veggies. i've read not to give dogs cheese or other milk products because dogs lose their ability to digest milk after they are whelped.