263 Dogs Seized From Florida Home

More on PawNation: Dogs, Hoarding, Sad
Sarasota County Animal Services removed approximately 263 small dogs over the past few days from a local residence. The dogs -- which included Chihuahuas, Maltese, Bichon Frise, Poodles, Bouviers and Schnauzers -- were kept in a series of outside chicken coop-like structures.

RELATED: 10 Pet Heroes Who Have Risked Their Lives

According to a news release from the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office, deputies initially removed two dozen dogs that were in poor medical condition and returned to the property to rescue the remaining animals. A majority of the dogs suffered from matted fur, fleas, intestinal parasites and eye issues. Of the 263 dogs, seventy have been transferred to area rescues. The rest will be moved over the next few days. The owner has not been identified yet, but criminal charges against the owner are pending.

RELATED: Perplexing Pup Behaviors Solved

Once the dogs are medically evaluated and treated, they will be put up for adoption on Monday at the earliest. Interested parties should visit www.SarasotaSheriff.org to download an application, which can be found in Animal Services under Public Interest.

RELATED: 10 Super Senior Dogs

stephanie

people who hoard or run puppy mills should be put in cages and see how they like it. something really needs to be done about these people. and people who abuse an animal, i have one who lives next door to me and i am lost as what to do.

May 09 2012 at 7:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stephanie

its fine if u can always adopt, but eventually some one has to buy the new puppies or whats gonna happen to them. easier said than done. to victoria

May 09 2012 at 7:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert Duprey

I Very Very much doubt this was a PUPPY MILL.. folks keep saying it.. largely I assume because they don't know what they are talking about.. This was a hoarder.. nothing more. I have known those like them. They want in their heart to Save Everyone.. and in that TRY at saving.. they over do it.. can't bare to see even one go off to the dirt.. not one be alone outside.. not realising in their delusion that they are not truly improving the situation by caging them up in poor conditions. I am a very very large Dog advocate.. I am also one who believes in RIGHT BREEDING.. I have also found that rescue dogs are some of the very best choices.. It is still a shame to admit.. to actually have to say it.. most of these dogs should not have been birthed in the first place.. not because of bad breeding.. just Not responsible breeding. We should Up Laws on how animals are treated.. with respect and dignity.. but I also believe we should Euthanize Most of the one's brought to ASPCA.. lower the dog population.. and Cat for that matter.. I know that means many many Great Great Family dogs would never be found.. but the cost of indiscriminate breeding is too Great to Favour them all.

May 09 2012 at 1:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
meezmos

And if they were mutts, the rescues wouldnt have taken any of them, they only take the ones they can sell, I used to work at a shelter for years and witnessed it time and again

May 09 2012 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to meezmos's comment
Jennifer

That is such a bogus statement. It is clear you have never worked with a rescue because if you had you surely wouldn't be making such a statement.

May 09 2012 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jennifer's comment
scottnsandrac

No. I know she's right about them selling pets, I have seen many, many ad's on domesticsale.com. Look for yourself. Or, domesticpets.com?

May 09 2012 at 5:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
Clara Montes de Oca

How do you know it was a puppy mill - it could very well have been someone who "rescues" and hoards... it sounds like hoarder behavior to me! there are lots of "rescue" people like that around. They think they are saving the dog from being euthanized at a shelter when in fact they are putting the dog in horrible living conditions. The system is broken it needs to be fixed. Better and more specific laws need to be put in place.

May 09 2012 at 11:17 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
YOU SEXY BITCH!

This is horrible. At the very least these animals were in Florida. My rescue pom's were stacked in crates at seven weeks old outside during a Vermont winter. They are ours and thriving today.

May 09 2012 at 10:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to YOU SEXY BITCH!'s comment
scottnsandrac

Wow. i am in Ca and have 2 mini poms, I couldnt imagine putting them outside, even when they went to go to the bathroom, I have a doggy door and they came right back in. Those are some lucky puppies that they are part of your fur fam now. WTG!

May 09 2012 at 6:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VICTORIA

Thats why breeding animals should be illegal!!! Breeders need to get a REAL job and stop contributing to dog overpopulation and the killing of shelter dogs! ALWAYS ADOPT, never buy because if you buy you are contributing to the above video!

May 09 2012 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to VICTORIA's comment
Robert Duprey

There is an Old Saying.. a Founding Father Said.. "He who gives us Liberty for Security.. deserves Neither." It means.. it might feel more secure to Regulate every thing.. because of the foolish out there.. but it also takes away the Liberty for those who are Smart to do what is Free. Free.. not as in Free Beer.. but as in Free to Choose.
I was raised with a Family that properly bread dogs.. They were carefully handled.. trained and placed. We also did not allow indiscriminate breeding of our Dogs. Why should I have been Forbidden to do what I know many others do and Can do.. because some weakest Link is an Idiot.. FINE THE IDIOT.. leave my Freedoms alone.

May 09 2012 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mistydreamsfarm

Responsible breeders are not the problem, indiscriminate breeders are. I personally breed Labradors and Australian Shepherds. I screen all my dogs for health problems, and screen all my potential buyers extensively. I follow up with my puppy buyers every few months, and they are required to sign a contract returning the puppy to me if they can't keep it for ANY reason. I even cover he cost of getting the puppy (or dog) back to my home. My dogs are family first. They live in my house, sleep on my bed, and get the absolute best care. I do not rely on my dogs for a source of income. I breed for the improvement of the breed, not for money. Anyone who breeds for the sole purpose of making money is an idiot. Good breeding is a labor of love, and honest breeders recognize that.

May 09 2012 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bartonlyle

The majority will be euthanized. When puppy mills like this are dismantled, the dogs are usually in such awful health or so psychologically scarred that they can't be salvaged.

May 09 2012 at 10:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bilhee

Maybe the puppy mill owner should have the opportunity to go live in the conditions she had her dogs in..just for a month or so before she's sent to jail...

May 09 2012 at 8:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
moonbeamsue

sounds like it was a "puppy mill" with those breeds. or maybe the man just was trying to take care of the dogs and just couldn't do it right. So happy they have been rescued from that terrible existence.

May 09 2012 at 7:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply