Newborn Fawn and Dog Frolic Together

More on PawNation: Cute, Dances With Deer, Deer, Dogs, Fawn, Funny, Golden Retriever, Newborns
Bambi had Thumper and Flower, but this tiny fawn has a Golden Retriever pal named Dickens. The two crossed paths in Dickens' backyard, where the dog's owner caught them doing this adorable "nice to meet you" dance. Not quite as spunky as Dickens, the fawn seemed to tire of the game first, but still let the dog admire her adorableness. Both Dickens' owner and the newborn deer's mother carefully watched on to make sure this blooming friendship stayed warm and fuzzy. The animals eventually parted ways, leaving us with a super cute video to watch.

See more baby animals:

pittsoff

OMG! This is just fantastic! What a brilliant video! LOL! A dear friend just apprised me of the fact that MY video, that I had no idea was going viral at the time of this, was being enjoyed and trashed at the same time! Susan here. To those of you who have called me clueless...muahahaha! Try to say that to my face! You have no idea how long that we've lived on this not so little piece of heaven and how long we've co-existed with the wildlife! We do have guns and know how to use them and thankfully have never had to use them on anything, but geez, I'm thinking that we'd need a semi automatic to take care of some of the "humans" commenting on this! The "OH" at the end of the video was at the arrival of the then 13 year old boy who helps cut the grass! Sorry for those who were hoping for a grizzly ending to this! The only thing that Dickens loves more than other animals are kids and I knew that Gunnar would help me to get Dickens. Dickens will be three this month, May 24th! The thing that I was clueless about was YouTube! I thought that I was only going to share it with family and friends! Holy Cow! To those of you who enjoyed this I'm happy and thank you. To the know it all cynics, who think that I was careless, heartless and clueless, I hope for you a life! OK, so maybe I hope that you get treated poorly by a wild animal because surely they would sense your evil nature. Dickens was a pup and still pretty much is. I love animals more than humans and is it any wonder! I would have put this to music and not had my commentary that I thought was only going to be for family. Oh well...live, learn and love...try to be dog like!

May 09 2012 at 1:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SamanthaSage

A fawn's defense mechanism is to hide. Not lunge. When they feel they are in danger they lay perfectly still, curled up in the grass and being they have no scent, the dog would have never found it, hidden. I don't think this fawn was scared at all. And the dog was perfectly gentle. Also if the fawn was in danger, mom definitely would have been attacking.

May 08 2012 at 9:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kals1gal

Loved this. I think the fawn and pup had some fun play and a once in a lifetime experience. No harm done. The lady knows her dog. Everyone watching might want to sit down with a nice cup of tea and enjoy it with a smile.

May 07 2012 at 10:29 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
kals1gal

I think it was cute. Fun play by fawn and deer. No harm done. Everyone worried should just sit back and have a cup of tea. The lady knows her dog and the pup was a gentle man. : )

May 07 2012 at 10:27 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Matt Dorn

Yes Bob Brown, I agree, it pisses me off too, but at the end of the vid, she says,"OH!" I'll Bet you a dime to a dollar that the fawns mom came with a vengeance! The deer that I have witnessed that show up to a fawns bleat like that usually do! I was playing around with a bleat call that would do the plain doe sound or a distressed fawn, when the reg doe call had no response, I tried the fawn weak and faint to signal distress, and just about the 5th time, a big buck tore through the kudzu like it was simply opening a zipper! So I'm guessing at the end, after her "OH!" it wasn't a good vid for the dog anymore, at least I hope the dog got it's payback! Shame on her for only halfheartedly calling the dog! Really wish she would have got kicked in the head instead of the dog! Grrrrrrrrrrr!

May 07 2012 at 7:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
arioswing

Calm down, people. Sure, the fawn was scared, and yes, the woman should have grabbed her dog and let the fawn be, but it was fine. The dog wasn't going to hurt the fawn and just wanted to play. No harm was done. The fawn will recover.

May 07 2012 at 7:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
iztt252

This is why I keep my dog locked up this time of year.

May 07 2012 at 7:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan

This fawn is definitely scared. See, it's tail is up almost all the time and it's lunging trying to defend itself by scaring off the dog. I feel sorry for the poor fawn. It seems the dog is just playing but the fawn doesn't know that.

May 07 2012 at 7:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Brown

The woman has no clue. The fawn is trying to defend itself! A very stressful situation for the new born . The more she stood around laughing and let this go on, the madder I got.

May 07 2012 at 6:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Bob Brown's comment
Trisha

My sentiments exactly. What a clueless lady. come on Dickie, com........, what she was really saying "Stay there Dickie, the Fawn is scared to death but I'm getting it on film".

May 09 2012 at 7:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marmlndng

I know the loving nature of dogs...and I know their limitations. This woman was irresponsible to allow her pet to come near a newborn deer ... would she allow Dickens near her newborn grandchild just so he could play with it? This is why domesticated animals are hated by some people - the owners are clueless!

May 07 2012 at 6:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply