Meet Naki'o, the First Four-Pawed Bionic Dog

the daily dish More on PawNation: Awesome, Disabled Pets, Dogs, Heart-Warming, Prosthetics
Naki'o the dog has gone through a lot to get back on his feet, but now he couldn't be happier. According to Dog Heirs, Naki'o is the first canine to receive prosthetic paws for all four legs.
As a pup, Naki'o lost his paws to frostbite after his owners abandoned him outside in Nebraska's harsh winter weather. Luckily, Naki'o was taken in by vet tech Christie Tomlinson, who nursed the neglected pooch back to health. Yet even with Tomlinson's care, Naki'o still had to resort to dragging himself around on his stomach because of his amputated paws.
See more bionic animals:

RELATED: Check out more bionic animals.

Hating to see Naki'o suffer, Tomlinson took the dog to Orthopets in Denver, Colo., where Naki'o was fitted for two prosthetic paws. After the doctor saw how well Naki'o was doing with the prosthetics, he decided to provide another set free of charge.

RELATED: Keep up with canines on the PawNation dogs hub.

Now Naki'o is back to his full, playful self, and he's able to get around just as well as his non-bionic companions.

RELATED: Play the Who's Cutest game now!

Nan

This story shocked me, and I don't shock easy when it comes to animal cruelty. How anyone could abandon their pet under any circumstances is beyond me, but to do so in such harsh weather conditions, then simply walk away is totally heartless. The person, or persons, who did this to an animal who knew nothing about evil before his "family" taught him its true meaning, deserves to feel the same pain & suffering they inflicted on their "pet". Bless the vet tech and veterinarian who gave this pup a second chance on living a full & happy life. If only we could clone them.

January 21 2014 at 12:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
merstockgto

So many people are so cruel and heartless. I just do not get how these so called people can do such a thing to these sweet animals.

January 20 2014 at 6:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
squirrleybird

what is wrong with people the same people who abuse or neglect animals treat children and elderly the same- all they have to do is ask for help if unable to care for their pet the pet that trusted them and cared about them- the pain that poor thing had to endure im sure they went unpunished having a pet should be thoroughly thought out and you need to educate yourself about your choices and unfortunately think ahead if something should happen to you , what becomes of your pet have you made provisions- this breaks my heart

January 20 2014 at 5:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KERWIN

iF THE DOG ONLY NEEDED THE PROSTHETIC LEGS FOR THE BACK, THEN WHY DID THEY PUT ON THE FRONT. HE SEEMS TO BE HAVING A HARDER TIME RUNNING WITH THE FRONT ONES ON. THEY SHOULD TRY TAKING OFF THE FRONT ONES AND SEE HOW HE DOES. JUST A SUGGESTION!!!

January 20 2014 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KarenMarie

People who can do that don't believe in GOD, if you don't have faith and belief in GOD you don't have a conscience nor a soul, you just live without any disregard for anything living. Don't think these people will get off "scott free", there is not excuse for this behavior and there is "judgment day" let's see how they will answer to this one! Thank you Christie for showing us that there are kind, wonderful, caring people in this world.

January 20 2014 at 12:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to KarenMarie's comment
merstockgto

It is not about God it is about idiots that have no feelings for these sweet animals.

January 20 2014 at 6:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tasopatczpatricia

This poor baby. I surehope the "people" who abandoned him in the cold Nebraska winter were found and brought to justice. Can't see how anyone could do this to a helpless animal.
This reminds me of when I was a teenager living in Wisconsin. I had a dog who my mother made sleep in the basement next to the furnace. One night after I went to bed, I heard Queenie barking in the basement. I went downstairs to see what was wrong. She was barking while looking up at one of the basement windows. It was the middle of winter and we were having a blizzard so I put my coat and boots on and went outside to see if I could find out what the problem was.There on my neighbors steps was a tiny little beagle pup (not more than 6 or 8 weeks old) trying to get up the steps. I knew they didn't have a dog so I went and got him and brought him into my house. Poor little thing, his hind leg was actually frozen stiff. I held his leg in my hands until he could move it again on his own. I gave him something to eat and I found a cardboard box and some old blankets and put him by the side of my bed where he fell asleep. While I was at school the next day, my mother took him to the pound. I never knew what happened to him but hoped he found a loving family to love and care for him and keep him warm in the winter.

January 20 2014 at 8:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TinLubat

its heartbreaking how some animals were not able to thrive because of lack of medical attention.im happy for this dog.he's a blessing to people. inspiring story.

May 02 2012 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chell

That's amazing that Christie took in this pup, and gave him nothing but love! As an animal lover and against animal abuse, its awesome to see heartfelt and loving stories! You rock Christie!

May 01 2012 at 1:37 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply