Gorilla Carefully Chooses Kitty Playmate

More on PawNation: Cats, Gorillas, Kittens, Tough Decision, Wild Animals
This gorilla has a pretty envious life. She's presented with five kittens, gets to chose as many of them as she wants and is then celebrated for playing with them. But the gorilla hasn't let her fame and good fortune go to her head. She selflessly takes but one baby cat to carefully cuddle, leaving the rest for other feline fanatical primates of the world. How sensible.
See More Primates:

Crystal

Koko is so gentle!! That's beautiful :)

April 25 2012 at 1:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fran Ford

These are not Koko's first kitties. She knows how to interact with them and has for a long time. Her first kitty was named "All Ball" and Koko named it herself. They lived together in Koko's habitat until All Ball got loose and was struck and killed by a car. There's a book about Koko and All Ball.

April 23 2012 at 3:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
liz

I hope they take that kitten away from him at night; he could accidentally crush it; it's too little to be a plaything to a large primate.

April 21 2012 at 9:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to liz's comment
cognitogrrl

Her. Koko is a female gorilla. They're not giving it to her for a plaything, but for a pet of her own. Google "Koko the gorilla" and find out more about her. She can communicate in sign language.

April 23 2012 at 8:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael VanSant

I want a gorilla

April 21 2012 at 9:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom Grafton

Interesting how much better a primate treats a cat compared to how cruel humans treat unborn babies.

April 21 2012 at 8:42 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tom Grafton's comment
jdavilazero

Apes can be very similar to humans.
Here, a mother tries to abandon a child but the grandmother is quick to teach the mother how to properly care for her offspring.
Great apes can be war-like and are even well known to eat monkeys.

April 23 2012 at 8:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jdavilazero's comment
cognitogrrl

Thanks for posting that. I read it and that's right, the grandmother showed the mother, you can't just lay them down, you're supposed to carry them All. The. Time. I've read of people who raise baby chimps or gorillas who are truly doing a "labor of love" coz they have to be on all the time.

April 23 2012 at 9:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
mariainsacto

I think it is one of the most gentle, kindest acts I have seen -- from one being to another being. I will hope that watching this will help us all to remember that when we began millions trillions of years ago, this base, primitive act of love was there, already. In those molecular cells, just waiting to come together. Let us recall that beginning, as demonstrated by another "type" so close to us now, let us return to the splendor that loving, and caring, for another records as the beginning of our evolutionary journey. A journey that has barely started even today. Truly then, we are not too far gone...that we cannot return to those first joys of life. Then and today.

April 21 2012 at 1:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mariainsacto

April 21 2012 at 1:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lbeauchamp73

I don't know about anyone else but my heart was in my throat watching this!

April 20 2012 at 7:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cherie Long

I am very fortunate, as my Father worked with Large Primates and Big Cats, all of my life. My Dad had a very keen and unusual sense about him. Gorillas, Chimps and Orangutans LOVED him and did not fear him. Therefore, they treated my Dad with respect, and normally like a member of their own family groups. It was ALWAYS amazing to watch and listen to the interaction between Man and Beasts! I LOVED it!!! Hence, my true, deep love for all animals! (Except Opossums). My father met and interacted with Dianne Fossey , a number of times, they were colleagues. An amazing woman! My Dad, (RIP), was a true inspiration to me and he etched a DEEP respect for Primates, Big Cats and ALL animals, into my being. And yes, even little BABY chimps, have the ability to tear limbs off...

April 20 2012 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Celtic

they will be scraping kitty off his butt

April 20 2012 at 12:00 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply