How to Get 'Dog Whisperer' Cesar Millan to Come to Your House

More on PawNation: Cesar Millan, Dogs, Puppies, Training

Have you ever wished the "Dog Whisperer" Cesar Millan would come to your house and help you with your unruly canine? You're not alone.

"We get thousands of applications from people wanting to be on the show," one of the show's producers, Sheila Emery, tells Paw Nation. "But we're only able to pick a small percentage." So how do the producers decide which dogs (and their owners) merit a visit from Millan? Paw Nation attended a "Dog Whisperer" casting call to find out.

On a sunny December afternoon in Santa Monica, Calif., Leah Pacheco and her husband Meftali Villasenor wait nervously to talk to one of the show's producers, who is holding auditions at a local grooming salon. The couple has driven two hours for the chance to be featured in an upcoming episode of "Dog Whisperer with Cesar Millan." They have four dogs and are desperate for help.

"We have a year-and-a-half-old Doberman pinscher named Jordan and she's crazy," Pacheco tells Paw Nation. "She dominates our other three little dogs and bats our Chihuahua around like a soccer ball." Does the Chihuahua like playing with the Doberman? "No!" Pacheco says, "Buttercup, our Chihuahua, is terrified!" Jordan also has a scary habit of jumping on the car whenever Pacheco's husband gets inside the vehicle.

They've tried everything that Millan suggests on his shows -- exercising Jordan on a treadmill, making her run alongside as they bike -- but nothing works. "It's our fault," laments Pacheco. "When Jordan was a puppy, we spoiled her. We're hoping to get on the show so Cesar can help us."

Dogs are allowed to attend the casting calls, but Pacheco and her husband have opted to leave the overbearing Jordan at home. They are, however, clutching the requisite application materials: a release form, questionnaire and a video showing Jordan misbehaving.

Inside the grooming salon, three-year-old rescue dog Berkeley (pictured above) and his owners, Kelly Berry and Peter Pappas, meet with producer, Emery.

"He's a good, sweet loving dog," Berry says, "but he's territorial and doesn't like smaller dogs. He goes nuts whenever he sees a UPS truck and spins in circles and does intense barking." Berkeley has gotten kicked out of daycare after just one day, Pappas says, because he was aggressive towards another dog. "We put a muzzle on him and shot video of him jumping up and trying to bite us," Pappas says. "Oh, good," Emery murmurs.

"The better the video, the better your chances of getting on the show," Emery explains to Paw Nation afterwards. "The video doesn't need to be professionally shot, but it does need to show the behavior." (Click here to read the show's submission guidelines.) Bonus if you're dog is quirky. "We love phobias," says Emery.

Currently in its sixth season on the National Geographic Channel, each episode of "Dog Whisperer" features three problem dogs. "We look for stories that are unique that we haven't done before," says Emery. "Maybe there's something unusual about the dog or the owner. Maybe it's a breed we haven't done before or a location. The same problems tend to come up, so we try to mix it up by combining the personality of the owner with the problem with the dog."

The show's producers like to feature people who they think will most likely follow through with Millan's advice. It's one reason Emery likes the young couple with the problem Doberman. "They've tried things without success and it shows they're motivated," she says. "When I hear about the problems with certain dogs, I wonder, 'How is Cesar going to fix this?'"

After six years working with Millan, Emery says she remains "completely mystified" when it comes to guessing how the dog behavior expert will solve a problem. "Cesar is so creative," she says. "We just give him the material for him to do his magic."

shpshftr42

With all the police shootings of dogs in the last several years, a show or series to Police officers on how to handle dogs that are doing what dogs do might be a VERY popular idea.

Sunday at 9:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
desire96

Hi my name Argia. I have 15
Months old German shepperd Luna her
Name That I love very. Much. And I have little dogs too. I had her when she was
4 week old hopping she'll get alone with them but she got
Very wild she attacked the little ones that
Needed ditches I can't take her for walked or the park she'll attack no one can visit not even
My grand kids she had 2 trainer
Didn't help. I don't want to give her up but I have cancer and hard I need to keep Luna with muscle all day and still
She attack please help I live Las Vegas phone. 702 274 0820

Thursday at 2:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
desire96

Hi I am sick with cancer and have German shepperd she is 15 months old that I love but she is very wild she had 2 trainer that didn't help she bite 3 of my little dogs that needed stitches . I can't take her out and no one can visit she'll attack.i have to keep her with muscle I don't want to give her away but I need help I live in Las Vegas I know you'll be here please help. My phone is. 702 274 0820. My name. Argia. Shabtai please help

Thursday at 2:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan Menard

Continuation from above: I don’t feel safe adopting Juniper to anyone who does not meet the above criteria. I believe Juniper is now and will always be a predator. Her predation can be controlled using strong leadership and extreme caution; she cannot put into a situation where she has the opportunity to attack another dog.
Is it realistic to expect I can safely adopt out Juniper and that she will have a good future? Will she injure or kill another pet in the future? Am I putting Juniper’s life above the life of someone else’s pet?
I cannot keep Juniper forever. I can continue to work on her issues and look for her forever home. What is the right thing to do?
Susan
Marion, NC

July 18 2014 at 10:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan Menard

I work with a really small grass-roots rescue group in rural NC. I am fostering a Lab/Pit mix who is dog aggressive and don’t know what to do. In addition to fostering, my husband and I own and operate a small pet hotel and doggie daycare which we depend upon for our income. Our foster, Juniper, lives in our pet hotel and is a danger to other dogs. I have kept her separate from our customers’ dogs and worked with her individually and with our other dogs since she came to us last September. I know this, I can control her aggression with other dogs while she is on leash and under my complete control. I also know that given any opportunity she will attack another dog and has the capability to kill another dog. Juniper is now and will always be a predator.
Two days ago I made a big mistake and which resulted in Juniper attacking my geriatric Terrier mix causing him injury which required surgery, several stitches and a drain tube. Here’s what happened: I put all my customers’ dogs away and took Juniper out for some exercise. I forgot that I brought one of my own little dogs down to our kennel, didn’t put him away and released Juniper into the yard. Juniper attacked him causing severe injury in 3 seconds. I was right there to minimize the damage or I believe my little dog would be dead. I have concluded that I cannot safely have Juniper in common areas shared by our customers’ dogs. I or my staff could make another mistake resulting in the injury or death of a client’s dog.
Juniper has some physical issues as well as her dog aggression. Juniper is a car chaser and was reported to be hit by cars at least twice prior to rescue. I feel we are successfully treating her physical issues and she is in moderate to minimal pain on a daily basis.
I cannot keep Juniper forever because of my business and the safety of my own 5 dogs and 5 cats. I have to determine if Juniper can be helped and will be adoptable at some point in the future. I feel that anyone considering adopting Juniper would have to meet the following criteria:
1. No other pets, now or in future
2. Fenced yard to eliminate opportunity to kill another pet or chase cars
3. Experienced and reliable pet owner. Juniper is strong willed and must be under control at all times
4. No kids. Juniper likes some people and not others. She could be a potential danger to a child. Plus, kids leave gates/doors open and use poor judgment which could result in her killing another pet or chasing cars
5. Never off leash outside of yard and home
6. Someone who doesn’t want to take her to dog parks or other public places
7. Willing to purchase needed medications
8. Willing to exercise her properly to reduce stress and tension. Not a couch potato

July 18 2014 at 10:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eva Hawthorne

Greetings from Texas!

We are in DIRE need of help. We have 5 dogs:
3 Pitts ages 4 y/o (Gracie) 1 y/o (Piper) and 8week old (Cowboy)
2 Chihuahuas ages 5 y/o (Rocky) 4 y/o (Camille)

ALL are rescues and ALL have issues which I am trying my best to handle. However Gracie is the one in the most need of help. She is our 3 legged Pit-bull that we saved on Thanksgiving day in 2012. She was severely under weight (about 34 pounds when we brought her in and before the one whole leg was removed), had two broken legs (both hind legs) she had just given birth and was dumped o the side of the road. She lost her one hind leg and a portion of the thigh bone in the other. She is mild mannered,sweet, loving, caring and does not hold a grudge at all, but since she only has the one back leg she relies on her front legs for almost everything and in turn that has made her chest and neck rather large so she looks intimidating, that and her ears were razored, with that being said she was SHOT by a police officer back in march of 2014 when he came into our yard and she came out the front door. SINCE THEN she has changed, she is terrified of thunder storms, loud noises, charges the door when the door bell rings or someone knocks on the door, she tries to run out the front door now, she is a nervous wreck and chews up papers and books if she can reach them, she goes NUTS when she sees a cat or another dog walking by and BAD separation anxiety. Her behavior is rubbing off onto our 1 y/o Pitbull, Piper. Piper goes along with whatever Gracie is doing and at 60-75 pounds each, its hard to maintain them. I am in fear of their safety because I do not want anyone to hurt them if get out nor do I want them to live in such a state of mind that they are constantly riled up. Gracie can not go for long walks like she needs to in order to release the anxiety and built up energy. Even if she COULD physically go for a long walk, she is fearful to go near cars unless she sees another dog then all fear is gone, and so is she. PLEASE HELP TEACH ME HOW to train her. I dont know if there is anything special you have to do for a disabled dog.

July 16 2014 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
agkitzerow

Hi Cesar,

I have a 4 year old standard poodle named Lola. I have had Lola since she was 8 weeks old. 2 days after bringing her home she was attacked by a pit bull. She was not physically injured but it has definitely left an emotional scar. It takes her a really long time to warm up to new dogs. Over the last year she seems to have lost a lot of her confidence. She does not really enjoy walking out side (unless we are at the park where she can play fetch with her ball). She also has a lot of anxiety when I go out of town. I have never boarded her she always goes to stay with my sister and her 2 dogs whom she really does enjoy playing with. It seems like every time I go leave her with my sister she either has an "accident" inside or she ends up getting sick. It has gotten to the point that I dread going out of town because of what I am going to have to deal with when I come back. Please help!

July 15 2014 at 8:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rolaine

Hi Cesar, my name is Rolaine Somerville, we live in South Africa. We watch your show religiously EVERY day! We have a great dane and a rottwieller cross... After watching your show and reading your books, we have tried your methods, but we are obviously doing something wrong.. Our great dane is impossible to take for walks, he drags us around, tries to attak ppl, cars, other dogs, bicycles, basically anything that moves! He has dragged me behind him on a leash for about 20m before my husband caught up with us and managed to stop him! I am too scared to walk him on my own! My husband who is NOT a small man has been dragged behind him as well. We cannot take him to the beach when there are any other dogs, ppl or any other animal as he goes crazy! It seems strange as we have 2 small children and at home he is nothing but gentle with them. Our rottwieller cross is older than the great dane and was a pretty balanced dog, we didn't have any major problems with him until we got the great dane. Instead of having a positive effect on the great dane like we hoped, the great dane has had a negative effect on the rottwieller! He is now also showing aggression to other dogs and ppl and has even bitten a few ppl who have come into our home! Both of them have been neutered! Please help us! I know it is far to come over here, but I have been a follower of your books and shows for 3 years now and it is a major dream of mine that you would come over and train me and my husband on how to rehabilitate our boys.. I can't tell you how much it would mean to us! We do not have dog trainers (or should I say PEOPLE trainers) even remotely close to how amazing you are over here! My email address is stanrsomerville@vodamail.co.za

July 13 2014 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Damian van Bogget

Hello,

My name is Damian, I am 15 years old and I live in Holland.
I have my own dog for about 4/5 months, he is 6 months now.
He does everything very good except for 1 thing.
When he is playing he doesn't hear or sees anything.
Last time he run up the road and almost got hit by a car.
Luckily he could escape.
People call me the dog whisperer but I can and want to learn allot more.
I really hope that you can help me with this!

greetings Damian from Holland.

Ps: youre show is amazing

July 11 2014 at 8:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susie Juan Arbelaez

Help us! we have a small neighborhood and one resident has 2 pit bulls, there have been 4 attacks on other residents pets in the last 2.5-3 years; most occurring during the last two years. Last night the worst- the victim dog has over 60 bites, still uncertain if the dog will survive and it was attached while in it's own front yard on a leash by two pitbulls. Please help us!

July 11 2014 at 7:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply