How to Get 'Dog Whisperer' Cesar Millan to Come to Your House

More on PawNation: Cesar Millan, Dogs, Puppies, Training

Have you ever wished the "Dog Whisperer" Cesar Millan would come to your house and help you with your unruly canine? You're not alone.

"We get thousands of applications from people wanting to be on the show," one of the show's producers, Sheila Emery, tells Paw Nation. "But we're only able to pick a small percentage." So how do the producers decide which dogs (and their owners) merit a visit from Millan? Paw Nation attended a "Dog Whisperer" casting call to find out.

On a sunny December afternoon in Santa Monica, Calif., Leah Pacheco and her husband Meftali Villasenor wait nervously to talk to one of the show's producers, who is holding auditions at a local grooming salon. The couple has driven two hours for the chance to be featured in an upcoming episode of "Dog Whisperer with Cesar Millan." They have four dogs and are desperate for help.

"We have a year-and-a-half-old Doberman pinscher named Jordan and she's crazy," Pacheco tells Paw Nation. "She dominates our other three little dogs and bats our Chihuahua around like a soccer ball." Does the Chihuahua like playing with the Doberman? "No!" Pacheco says, "Buttercup, our Chihuahua, is terrified!" Jordan also has a scary habit of jumping on the car whenever Pacheco's husband gets inside the vehicle.

They've tried everything that Millan suggests on his shows -- exercising Jordan on a treadmill, making her run alongside as they bike -- but nothing works. "It's our fault," laments Pacheco. "When Jordan was a puppy, we spoiled her. We're hoping to get on the show so Cesar can help us."

Dogs are allowed to attend the casting calls, but Pacheco and her husband have opted to leave the overbearing Jordan at home. They are, however, clutching the requisite application materials: a release form, questionnaire and a video showing Jordan misbehaving.

Inside the grooming salon, three-year-old rescue dog Berkeley (pictured above) and his owners, Kelly Berry and Peter Pappas, meet with producer, Emery.

"He's a good, sweet loving dog," Berry says, "but he's territorial and doesn't like smaller dogs. He goes nuts whenever he sees a UPS truck and spins in circles and does intense barking." Berkeley has gotten kicked out of daycare after just one day, Pappas says, because he was aggressive towards another dog. "We put a muzzle on him and shot video of him jumping up and trying to bite us," Pappas says. "Oh, good," Emery murmurs.

"The better the video, the better your chances of getting on the show," Emery explains to Paw Nation afterwards. "The video doesn't need to be professionally shot, but it does need to show the behavior." (Click here to read the show's submission guidelines.) Bonus if you're dog is quirky. "We love phobias," says Emery.

Currently in its sixth season on the National Geographic Channel, each episode of "Dog Whisperer" features three problem dogs. "We look for stories that are unique that we haven't done before," says Emery. "Maybe there's something unusual about the dog or the owner. Maybe it's a breed we haven't done before or a location. The same problems tend to come up, so we try to mix it up by combining the personality of the owner with the problem with the dog."

The show's producers like to feature people who they think will most likely follow through with Millan's advice. It's one reason Emery likes the young couple with the problem Doberman. "They've tried things without success and it shows they're motivated," she says. "When I hear about the problems with certain dogs, I wonder, 'How is Cesar going to fix this?'"

After six years working with Millan, Emery says she remains "completely mystified" when it comes to guessing how the dog behavior expert will solve a problem. "Cesar is so creative," she says. "We just give him the material for him to do his magic."

jordan.barth

Cesar I have a problem with my dog Keisha she won't go outside to go to the bathroom because of a high pitched sound she hears she even won't go outside the front door for a walk and whatever my feelings express she expresses the opposite I really need your help I live in racine Wisconsin my cellphone number is 2627218343 my address is 3300 oakwood Dr if u can come here i will be grateful I'm a big fan of your show please come here

5 hours ago Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patty

I have a 160 lb. Alaska Malamute puppy. We walk 2 to 7 miles a day. I cannot get him out of his working/pulling mode. He gets nervous around tall buildings. He has already torn my rotator cuff. Also he doesn't like men.

13 hours ago Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patty

I have a 160 pound Alaska malamute. We walk 2 to 7 miles every day. I cannot get him out of his working/pulling mode. He has already torn my rotator cuff. Also he won't walk around tall building and he doesn't like men. I need help

13 hours ago Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Keith walker

Hi Cesar my name is Keith we (my wife and I) had the privilege of having our black lab "Luna" to just fall in our lap. Luna is a will behaved dog to the point that she seems very lethargic. We have taken her to the vet with no results.Im afraid that it's a personality trait, but from the lab's I've seen she acts the exact opposite. I know this may not be on the top of your list but we would appreciate having you to check her and see if it's in your realm of training thanks for the time.

Tuesday at 5:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sara Caccia della Va

hola Cesar,soy una cicha italiana y tengo 2 perros, brooklyn y maya.tengo mucho problemas con brooklyn, se pelea con otros perros y esta siempre niervoso e agresivo.tu, Cesar es il mio idolo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!yo se que tu esta muy lecos de mi, pero tengo un sueno, quello de conoscerte.por favor Cesar aiutame!!!!!!!!!!!!por favor!!!!!!!!!!!!!mi casa es tu casa!!!!!!!!!!
esto el mi mobil espero in una tua llamada!+393428959385.con mucho carino...Sara

October 09 2014 at 4:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sara Caccia della Va

hola cesar, soy una cicha italiana e tengo 2 perros,Brooklyn y Maya.tengo mucho problemas con Brooklyn, se pelea con otros perros y es muy agresivo.me gustaria muchissimo conocerte,tu eres il mio idolo!!!!!!!!!!!!por favor Cesar, yo se,que tu estas muy lecos de mi,pero se llega in italia, yo te pido por favor de llamarme!te quiero mucho por todo lo que ace!
mi mobil +393428959385

October 09 2014 at 3:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sexy

Hi Cesar my name is Jamaica and I'm a deaf.. My daughter dog name is Bella.. I have hard time to communicate with this girl. So I really reallllllllly need ur help so badly.. Cause I just want to learn to training my daughter Bella.. Sigh also my boyfriend name is mookie and he's hard of hearing so he had to work everyday like 24/7. Please contact me raylrenee@yahoo.com thanks n have a nice day!

October 08 2014 at 11:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
valerie

I am the woman with the 9 week old sick adopted puppy. I forgot to leave my email.......it is.....
goddessvalj64@msn.com
please help. I am trying to make her life as stress free and comfortable as I can for the time she
Has left. And I don't want to do anything wrong.

October 06 2014 at 12:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
valerie

Cesar, I am in desperate need for help. And I need it fast! Our family adopted 9 week old black lab with a deformed back leg. Unknown to us Dolly also has a major heart defect. We have only had her 4 days and our vet feels she may live days, months unsure how long she has. We have to get her to calm down and not over exert her heart when she is crated overnight or when we must leave her for short times. I do not work and I am home all day. She barked last night for 4
Hours even after diazepam to calm her. I need best way to crate train her as quick as possible for her health. Please help.......I am desperate. Her crying and barking breaks my heart. And she knows it.

October 06 2014 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply