How to Get 'Dog Whisperer' Cesar Millan to Come to Your House

More on PawNation: Cesar Millan, Dogs, Puppies, Training

Have you ever wished the "Dog Whisperer" Cesar Millan would come to your house and help you with your unruly canine? You're not alone.

"We get thousands of applications from people wanting to be on the show," one of the show's producers, Sheila Emery, tells Paw Nation. "But we're only able to pick a small percentage." So how do the producers decide which dogs (and their owners) merit a visit from Millan? Paw Nation attended a "Dog Whisperer" casting call to find out.

On a sunny December afternoon in Santa Monica, Calif., Leah Pacheco and her husband Meftali Villasenor wait nervously to talk to one of the show's producers, who is holding auditions at a local grooming salon. The couple has driven two hours for the chance to be featured in an upcoming episode of "Dog Whisperer with Cesar Millan." They have four dogs and are desperate for help.

"We have a year-and-a-half-old Doberman pinscher named Jordan and she's crazy," Pacheco tells Paw Nation. "She dominates our other three little dogs and bats our Chihuahua around like a soccer ball." Does the Chihuahua like playing with the Doberman? "No!" Pacheco says, "Buttercup, our Chihuahua, is terrified!" Jordan also has a scary habit of jumping on the car whenever Pacheco's husband gets inside the vehicle.

They've tried everything that Millan suggests on his shows -- exercising Jordan on a treadmill, making her run alongside as they bike -- but nothing works. "It's our fault," laments Pacheco. "When Jordan was a puppy, we spoiled her. We're hoping to get on the show so Cesar can help us."

Dogs are allowed to attend the casting calls, but Pacheco and her husband have opted to leave the overbearing Jordan at home. They are, however, clutching the requisite application materials: a release form, questionnaire and a video showing Jordan misbehaving.

Inside the grooming salon, three-year-old rescue dog Berkeley (pictured above) and his owners, Kelly Berry and Peter Pappas, meet with producer, Emery.

"He's a good, sweet loving dog," Berry says, "but he's territorial and doesn't like smaller dogs. He goes nuts whenever he sees a UPS truck and spins in circles and does intense barking." Berkeley has gotten kicked out of daycare after just one day, Pappas says, because he was aggressive towards another dog. "We put a muzzle on him and shot video of him jumping up and trying to bite us," Pappas says. "Oh, good," Emery murmurs.

"The better the video, the better your chances of getting on the show," Emery explains to Paw Nation afterwards. "The video doesn't need to be professionally shot, but it does need to show the behavior." (Click here to read the show's submission guidelines.) Bonus if you're dog is quirky. "We love phobias," says Emery.

Currently in its sixth season on the National Geographic Channel, each episode of "Dog Whisperer" features three problem dogs. "We look for stories that are unique that we haven't done before," says Emery. "Maybe there's something unusual about the dog or the owner. Maybe it's a breed we haven't done before or a location. The same problems tend to come up, so we try to mix it up by combining the personality of the owner with the problem with the dog."

The show's producers like to feature people who they think will most likely follow through with Millan's advice. It's one reason Emery likes the young couple with the problem Doberman. "They've tried things without success and it shows they're motivated," she says. "When I hear about the problems with certain dogs, I wonder, 'How is Cesar going to fix this?'"

After six years working with Millan, Emery says she remains "completely mystified" when it comes to guessing how the dog behavior expert will solve a problem. "Cesar is so creative," she says. "We just give him the material for him to do his magic."

kev

Hi, i watch Ceasar almost whenever i can, and owning good behaved dogs are very important to me.
I have two pitbulls one adopted at age of 3 and behaves very well and trained her easily.
Second JUDO male bluenose had him since small puppy and did my best till today 4 years but the progress is very slow. If i didnt own him since puppy i would guess he was mistreated, he is scared from the trash can or any other object!! and doesnt like small dogs. He isnt agressive but shows scare in people. so i am very much in love with this dog and worried. I like to take him to a rehab center and leave him with some other dogs for a while and think it will solve the problem ofcourse under ceasars supervision. All my friends love him and push me to contact you. Hoping to hear from you soon...thanks

August 22 2014 at 8:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ap49097

We have this minny' Aussie whom is very protective over my sister. Any time the play fights with anyone, Molly(the dog) lunges after the other person. She also has this bad habit of getting after the other three dogs when they're playing, barking and snapping at them. Worst part is that she doesn't let anyone other than my family to pet her. I'm scared she'll end up biting someone. Help?

August 20 2014 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jodi Chamberland

Hello,my name is Jodi and I have a 4 year old Saint Bernard(male) and need your help.. Do you come to Canada ? and how much does your help cost??
I love our big guy ,but he scares others and sometimes myself when they try to come visit him,he deep barks and growls at them and will NOT stop until they have left :( He has become a lot worse since we have moved into military housing and we don't have a fence up yet so he is tied to go out cause if not he runs and I'm scared for the people living around us and him(bruno) too :(
My husband says if he keeps doing this then he is gone,PLEASEEEEEEEE I need your help!!!!!!! Thank you so much.

August 19 2014 at 9:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary Haynes Wheeler

we have adopted a sheltie from local shelter, this dog has been mistreated, we are working with him, and he has changed a lot since he has been with us. However his behavior of barking and running at the lawn mower frightens us.

August 18 2014 at 9:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary Haynes Wheeler

We have adopted a Sheltie from local shelter, this dog has been mistreated, we are working with him, and he has changed a lot since he has been with us. However his behavior of barking and running at the lawn mower frightens us. Especially if he goes outside and we are just behind him, and our neighbor is on her lawn mower. he is uncontrollable. any comments, or suggestions. He does not run at cars. Maybe its the noise. wheeler in georgetown, tn.

August 18 2014 at 9:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Grace Furlong

Please Cesar Milan, come to Quechee, Vermont . I need you so badly. I have a Pembroke Welsh Corgi that I love dearly but gets very aggressive towards puppies and my parents when they come up stairs. Please I want a clam submissive dog. Not a mad angry dog.

August 18 2014 at 5:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ashley Scarlett

I have a American bulldog named chloe she is very hyper unless she doesn't know you. she pulls on the leash a lot and is very skiddish to people she doesn't know and objects she hasn't been around she is one year old she jumps on my little kids and adults when they come over and nips them some times and when she plays she sometimes bites hard if you can I help contact me at ashleyscarlett2000@gmail.com thanks

August 18 2014 at 4:44 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Chris Hanson Larson

Hello,
I have three dogs. I have a Saint Bernard and a Black Lab and a Beagle. And what is funny is the Beagle runs the pack! Anyways, the problem dog is the Saint Bernard Isabella. She is a 1 1/2 old and very powerful. She is very intelligent and loving. Just last year when she was a puppy my dad had prostate cancer and when I brought her with me to visit him she would just go right to him and lie at his feet. And if she couldn't come inside she would lay right outside his window. She had to know he had cancer and she was a puppy and she didn't move from his side. Even one time he started choking on some water in his wheelchair and she got everyone's attention to help him. I would love to train her to be a therapy dog but she has aggression towards other dogs and people she doesn't know. She won't bit anyone or any dog but she just barks and goes towards them. I also have fibromayalia and arthritis and I cannot hold her back when she pulls towards people and dogs. She is too strong. So, this needs to stop! I need your help! My other two dogs just sit there and watch her like she is some mad dog. Please help me .........

August 16 2014 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
melliegreeneyes86

I am posting this for myself. My name Is Melanie Thomspson. I have a 7 month old pit bull puppy and I can't get him to do anything. They only thing he will do is go to the bathroom outside. He can open doors. He will get on his hind legs and use his paws to open doors. He get's into the trash he eats 3 rolls of toilet paper a day out of the bathroom. He gets in to everything. Discaplining him doesn't work. He gets under your feet and I have fallen down the stairs 8 times now because he runs down the stairs and runs back up them. He gets into laundry baskets and drags everything across the house. He runs off. The cops got called on him the other day. He wont quit eating everything. He eats shoes, cardboard, paper, makeup, feminine products, razors, pens, pencils,books, shoes etc. We have tried everything. We have tried spanking him, a coin jar ( shaking at him when he does some thing wrong, training classes, everything. He wont listen. WE have bought him hundreds of dollars of things over the last few monthes for him to chew on so he doesn't chew on anything else but they don't even make it a day. The only thing that has lasted is a dog rope we bought at Walmart. All the hard rubber stuff and balls and everything else is torn up with in 5 minutes. When i take him out to use the bathroom he runs out in front of cars, he runs into other peoples yards and barks at them. I chase him a about 6 times everyday. The cops have only been called once. He isn't mean anything. He just wont listen. He is territorial. HE likes children but not teenagers or other adults. Also when we leave the house he gets on his hind legs and tries to get ou the door. I changed the door knob on it. he scratches the paint of the door. I am at my wits end with him. I love him so much and don't want to get rid of him after al the money i have spent on him. But it's coming down to it. I really don't want to bc i don't know how the people who would adopt him would treat him. I am desperately in need of your help. My mom watches your show. And she told me to write and see if you could help. i live in Tennessee and my number is 6154398148 and i hope to hear from you.
-Melanie Thompson
Murfreesboro, TN

August 13 2014 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tootsie

Hello, I am submitting this post for my daughter who has a wonderful companion Pit Bull named Chevy. He is a seven year old, very dedicated and very sound in mind and spirit. My daughter found him when he was still a youngster and has spend every day of her life with him, training him to have great manners as he listens and obeys quite well. He can come to my house and interact with 5 JRT's, a Dobie and a Lab with absolutely no problem. My daughter has done a spectacular job of socializing him with both dogs and humans. There are two quirks he has, one understandable, which is when another dog attempts to jump on his back, but the other quirk is very odd and concerning. She has mentioned this to me but until I saw it for myself, I had no concern. This guy, Mr. Chevy who loves the water and is taken to the dog beaches in our San Diego, Ca. community, he cannot be taken off leash. Somehow he feels that anyone out in the water is in trouble and he wants to swim out to rescue them. Imagine having this big headed animal heading right for you while you are trying to catch a wave. My own heat would probably stop if I didn't know him and had swapped as many kisses with him that I have. The same holds true with folks swimming in a pool. I witnessed both of these activities while in his presence within one week, at the beach and in a private setting yesterday where we celebrated a birthday party with guests in the pool. It is obvious how intense he becomes and it becomes difficult for my daughter to control him. Aside from water, he is totally controllable, listens instinctively to my daughter with anything and everything she asks of him. He loves people, children, other dogs, but not kitties. That's not such a problem as she doesn't have one. He never puts out a growl toward anyone, two or four legged. If there is any kind of advice or if this is a animal you would b interested in evaluating we would be forever grateful. We thank you in advance for any help you can provide. Even though I, the grandma of this guy, would probably not ever be a Pitty owner, I can attest to the fact, that Chevy is a great dog. One to love. Sincerely, Luana W

August 10 2014 at 6:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply