How to Get 'Dog Whisperer' Cesar Millan to Come to Your House

More on PawNation: Cesar Millan, Dogs, Puppies, Training

Have you ever wished the "Dog Whisperer" Cesar Millan would come to your house and help you with your unruly canine? You're not alone.

"We get thousands of applications from people wanting to be on the show," one of the show's producers, Sheila Emery, tells Paw Nation. "But we're only able to pick a small percentage." So how do the producers decide which dogs (and their owners) merit a visit from Millan? Paw Nation attended a "Dog Whisperer" casting call to find out.

On a sunny December afternoon in Santa Monica, Calif., Leah Pacheco and her husband Meftali Villasenor wait nervously to talk to one of the show's producers, who is holding auditions at a local grooming salon. The couple has driven two hours for the chance to be featured in an upcoming episode of "Dog Whisperer with Cesar Millan." They have four dogs and are desperate for help.

"We have a year-and-a-half-old Doberman pinscher named Jordan and she's crazy," Pacheco tells Paw Nation. "She dominates our other three little dogs and bats our Chihuahua around like a soccer ball." Does the Chihuahua like playing with the Doberman? "No!" Pacheco says, "Buttercup, our Chihuahua, is terrified!" Jordan also has a scary habit of jumping on the car whenever Pacheco's husband gets inside the vehicle.

They've tried everything that Millan suggests on his shows -- exercising Jordan on a treadmill, making her run alongside as they bike -- but nothing works. "It's our fault," laments Pacheco. "When Jordan was a puppy, we spoiled her. We're hoping to get on the show so Cesar can help us."

Dogs are allowed to attend the casting calls, but Pacheco and her husband have opted to leave the overbearing Jordan at home. They are, however, clutching the requisite application materials: a release form, questionnaire and a video showing Jordan misbehaving.

Inside the grooming salon, three-year-old rescue dog Berkeley (pictured above) and his owners, Kelly Berry and Peter Pappas, meet with producer, Emery.

"He's a good, sweet loving dog," Berry says, "but he's territorial and doesn't like smaller dogs. He goes nuts whenever he sees a UPS truck and spins in circles and does intense barking." Berkeley has gotten kicked out of daycare after just one day, Pappas says, because he was aggressive towards another dog. "We put a muzzle on him and shot video of him jumping up and trying to bite us," Pappas says. "Oh, good," Emery murmurs.

"The better the video, the better your chances of getting on the show," Emery explains to Paw Nation afterwards. "The video doesn't need to be professionally shot, but it does need to show the behavior." (Click here to read the show's submission guidelines.) Bonus if you're dog is quirky. "We love phobias," says Emery.

Currently in its sixth season on the National Geographic Channel, each episode of "Dog Whisperer" features three problem dogs. "We look for stories that are unique that we haven't done before," says Emery. "Maybe there's something unusual about the dog or the owner. Maybe it's a breed we haven't done before or a location. The same problems tend to come up, so we try to mix it up by combining the personality of the owner with the problem with the dog."

The show's producers like to feature people who they think will most likely follow through with Millan's advice. It's one reason Emery likes the young couple with the problem Doberman. "They've tried things without success and it shows they're motivated," she says. "When I hear about the problems with certain dogs, I wonder, 'How is Cesar going to fix this?'"

After six years working with Millan, Emery says she remains "completely mystified" when it comes to guessing how the dog behavior expert will solve a problem. "Cesar is so creative," she says. "We just give him the material for him to do his magic."

Sara Caccia della Va

hola Cesar,soy una cicha italiana y tengo 2 perros, brooklyn y maya.tengo mucho problemas con brooklyn, se pelea con otros perros y esta siempre niervoso e agresivo.tu, Cesar es il mio idolo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!yo se que tu esta muy lecos de mi, pero tengo un sueno, quello de conoscerte.por favor Cesar aiutame!!!!!!!!!!!!por favor!!!!!!!!!!!!!mi casa es tu casa!!!!!!!!!!
esto el mi mobil espero in una tua llamada!+393428959385.con mucho carino...Sara

October 09 2014 at 4:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sara Caccia della Va

hola cesar, soy una cicha italiana e tengo 2 perros,Brooklyn y Maya.tengo mucho problemas con Brooklyn, se pelea con otros perros y es muy agresivo.me gustaria muchissimo conocerte,tu eres il mio idolo!!!!!!!!!!!!por favor Cesar, yo se,que tu estas muy lecos de mi,pero se llega in italia, yo te pido por favor de llamarme!te quiero mucho por todo lo que ace!
mi mobil +393428959385

October 09 2014 at 3:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sexy

Hi Cesar my name is Jamaica and I'm a deaf.. My daughter dog name is Bella.. I have hard time to communicate with this girl. So I really reallllllllly need ur help so badly.. Cause I just want to learn to training my daughter Bella.. Sigh also my boyfriend name is mookie and he's hard of hearing so he had to work everyday like 24/7. Please contact me raylrenee@yahoo.com thanks n have a nice day!

October 08 2014 at 11:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
valerie

I am the woman with the 9 week old sick adopted puppy. I forgot to leave my email.......it is.....
goddessvalj64@msn.com
please help. I am trying to make her life as stress free and comfortable as I can for the time she
Has left. And I don't want to do anything wrong.

October 06 2014 at 12:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
valerie

Cesar, I am in desperate need for help. And I need it fast! Our family adopted 9 week old black lab with a deformed back leg. Unknown to us Dolly also has a major heart defect. We have only had her 4 days and our vet feels she may live days, months unsure how long she has. We have to get her to calm down and not over exert her heart when she is crated overnight or when we must leave her for short times. I do not work and I am home all day. She barked last night for 4
Hours even after diazepam to calm her. I need best way to crate train her as quick as possible for her health. Please help.......I am desperate. Her crying and barking breaks my heart. And she knows it.

October 06 2014 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shannon Holder

My contect information is 615-203-2838

October 02 2014 at 8:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shannon Holder

Cesar, my name is Shannon I need your help I live in Tennessee, I have two dogs that are mother and daughter ones my and ones my mother in laws that I live with taking care of her she is recovery from breast cancer n both dogs fight everyday and its just getting worst we need your help before they end up killing each other

October 02 2014 at 8:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shannon Holder

Cesar , me and my mother in law is in need of you're help. We two small dogs that are at each other if they even see each other they are going for blood when they fight . We have tried everything vets have told us and pet stores please help us both dogs r mother n daughter . My name is Shannon my phone number is 615-203-2838 please help us we don't want this to end up bad we need help and I believe you may be the only one who can help us

October 02 2014 at 8:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kym Seeburger

i have a 9 year old doxie, he had aggresive issues when i adopted him at the shelter, 5 years ago.a few monthes after i got him, he jumped off a short porch and became paralyzed from midsection down. i rushed him into surgery, but he never regained use of his back legs, so he has a cart and even without it he moves very fast on out linolem floors. i love him dearly, he gets along well with my other 3 rescues. he has always been a little nippy with people he didnt know, then he started growling at my roomate recently, his vet put him on prozac, a month ago...the new development is now he has bitten me 4 times in the last 24 hours. this is all new, he has never shown any aggression towards me. its like he has become rabid....but he is utd on his vacinations and i know he hasent been bitten by any wild animals. the look in his eyes are like a hated, want to kill.....i dont believe he is in any pain as he lets a male friend of mine pick him up and he is still very mobile..no wimpering or anything like that. im desperate to know what i making him go red zone....the vet thinks i should put him down...but i really dont want to do that....please help us......850-400-9942..milton fl...

October 01 2014 at 10:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kym Seeburger

I have a 9 year old paralyzed doxie. when i rescued him from the shelter, he was not paralyzed. bur he had agressive issues towards anyone reaching from above to pet him. he was found as a stray, malnourished and running down the street with a chain around his neck. they brought him out to me and it was love at first sight. a few months later he jumped the wrong way off of a low porch and even tho, i got him into surgery fast, he did not regain his mobility...he has a cart and scoots very fast,without it...he has always been a little nippy with strangers, but now he has started attacking me. i try not to show fear but ive been bit now 4 tmies in 24 hours. this has never happened before in 5 years of having him.the vet has put him on prozac for the past month, iits not helping. i do not think he is any pain as he moves around well, no change in that or wimpering in pain...the vet thinks i should put him down ...i love him and dont want to do that...he is fine with the other 3 fur children, but its like his brain has short circuited...it is breaking my heart and i need help...i want him to be happy again...please help fritzy and i....thanks kym seeburger 850-400-9942 milton, fl

October 01 2014 at 10:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply