How to Get 'Dog Whisperer' Cesar Millan to Come to Your House

More on PawNation: Cesar Millan, Dogs, Puppies, Training

Have you ever wished the "Dog Whisperer" Cesar Millan would come to your house and help you with your unruly canine? You're not alone.

"We get thousands of applications from people wanting to be on the show," one of the show's producers, Sheila Emery, tells Paw Nation. "But we're only able to pick a small percentage." So how do the producers decide which dogs (and their owners) merit a visit from Millan? Paw Nation attended a "Dog Whisperer" casting call to find out.

On a sunny December afternoon in Santa Monica, Calif., Leah Pacheco and her husband Meftali Villasenor wait nervously to talk to one of the show's producers, who is holding auditions at a local grooming salon. The couple has driven two hours for the chance to be featured in an upcoming episode of "Dog Whisperer with Cesar Millan." They have four dogs and are desperate for help.

"We have a year-and-a-half-old Doberman pinscher named Jordan and she's crazy," Pacheco tells Paw Nation. "She dominates our other three little dogs and bats our Chihuahua around like a soccer ball." Does the Chihuahua like playing with the Doberman? "No!" Pacheco says, "Buttercup, our Chihuahua, is terrified!" Jordan also has a scary habit of jumping on the car whenever Pacheco's husband gets inside the vehicle.

They've tried everything that Millan suggests on his shows -- exercising Jordan on a treadmill, making her run alongside as they bike -- but nothing works. "It's our fault," laments Pacheco. "When Jordan was a puppy, we spoiled her. We're hoping to get on the show so Cesar can help us."

Dogs are allowed to attend the casting calls, but Pacheco and her husband have opted to leave the overbearing Jordan at home. They are, however, clutching the requisite application materials: a release form, questionnaire and a video showing Jordan misbehaving.

Inside the grooming salon, three-year-old rescue dog Berkeley (pictured above) and his owners, Kelly Berry and Peter Pappas, meet with producer, Emery.

"He's a good, sweet loving dog," Berry says, "but he's territorial and doesn't like smaller dogs. He goes nuts whenever he sees a UPS truck and spins in circles and does intense barking." Berkeley has gotten kicked out of daycare after just one day, Pappas says, because he was aggressive towards another dog. "We put a muzzle on him and shot video of him jumping up and trying to bite us," Pappas says. "Oh, good," Emery murmurs.

"The better the video, the better your chances of getting on the show," Emery explains to Paw Nation afterwards. "The video doesn't need to be professionally shot, but it does need to show the behavior." (Click here to read the show's submission guidelines.) Bonus if you're dog is quirky. "We love phobias," says Emery.

Currently in its sixth season on the National Geographic Channel, each episode of "Dog Whisperer" features three problem dogs. "We look for stories that are unique that we haven't done before," says Emery. "Maybe there's something unusual about the dog or the owner. Maybe it's a breed we haven't done before or a location. The same problems tend to come up, so we try to mix it up by combining the personality of the owner with the problem with the dog."

The show's producers like to feature people who they think will most likely follow through with Millan's advice. It's one reason Emery likes the young couple with the problem Doberman. "They've tried things without success and it shows they're motivated," she says. "When I hear about the problems with certain dogs, I wonder, 'How is Cesar going to fix this?'"

After six years working with Millan, Emery says she remains "completely mystified" when it comes to guessing how the dog behavior expert will solve a problem. "Cesar is so creative," she says. "We just give him the material for him to do his magic."

Christy Brock

I Currently reside in Riverside California and I have a 2 1/2 year old Rottweiler named Blaze who we love dearly. He is a inside dog and very pro active in our life, a family dog and a companion, he is gentle with our Chihuahua and looks after her very smart and loves to play with our 9 year old son. Lately he has been showing aggression towards us and seems moody at times he has not bitten anyone, but I'm afraid he eventually well. When he was a few months old he was attack by a wolf that almost killed him it happened so fast during the attack I was screaming and my emotions were intense. I wondering if there is trauma and possibly he connects me with the incident due to the fact of hearing me and sensing my emotions. after the attack he was scared of me and not of the any other dogs. I wont give up on him and hope he can overcome this aggression he is showing!

11 hours ago Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeannie Quinn McGinn

Hello, i need help badly. I rescued a red tick **** hound . He's about a year old and should of been named trouble, or hurricane or any other natural disaster you can think of. I dont know where to start. He jumps up on the counters and tables. You cannot leave a drink anywhere and he'll be drinking it. He chews almost anything. I am out of sheets and short on blankets. He chews clothes, shoes anything he can wrap his mouth around. He terrorizes 83 year old mother. Not mean, just jumping on bed.. He eats the food on the stove as your cooking and gets in the sink and get dishes out. He acts as if he's starving and thats not the case here. I have had him about 4 months and only accomplished teaching him to sit and he's housebroke. I have had dogs all my life and never faced one this misbehaved and distructive. Im really at the end of my rope. I dont want to send him to another home because it i dont think the average person will keep him long. His past the owner kept him 2 weeks. The next home was one day. Now me. I love him, and want so badly to give him his forever home. Can you help me. Oh, can i put a glass of hot sauce on my table to let him stick his tongue, maybe he wont drink out of my glass again. Just thinking.

14 hours ago Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jacob W Phillips

Hi there Cesar. My cousins dog is an akita shepherd the dog has been aggressive torwards other dogs and starting to get aggressive torwards children. The dog has tryed to bite a 14 yr old kid. Im hoping that you can fix my cousin's problem. He doesn't know what to do. Your our only hope.

Thursday at 5:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jacob W Phillips

Hi there Cesar. My cousins dog is an akita shepherd, the dog is aggressive towards other dogs. My cousins dog has been getting aggressive torwards children. My cousin doesnt know what to do. I made the suggestion about you Cesar. Im getting worried that the dog will end up biting someone. Im hoping that you will get back to me. You are kind of our last hope.

Thursday at 5:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matasha Hock

Hi ceasar I'm wondering if you ever come to casper wy.... Cause I'm in desperate help with my 4yr old belgian malinio named Lexi I got her from metro and ever since she barks and bites at strangers and my friends which my parents don't want, she also wants to attack other dogs and our cats(kittens) I tried all your tricks with her and she just doesn't want to respond so I need all the help or my parents said find her a new home.... My email is FFArabbits@hotmail.com

December 06 2014 at 10:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mavis Anderson

Hey Ceasar, was wondering when your next visit to Australia is?? We have a 4yr old rottweiler whom we rescued from a family that was going to put him down as he grabbed hold of their childs arm which scared this family. Since we've had him we have notice his agressiveness with children from the ages of 0-7. I'm more concerned for babies as his eyes dilate like he wants to eat this baby. We have tried using different methods of training but with no success. If you can help would so appreciate that. Thank you

November 28 2014 at 10:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mavis Anderson

Are you able to help please?

November 28 2014 at 10:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

I love the miracles Cesar can perform on pets with some issues. I would like for some help with my 4 year old German Shepard that I rescued when she was 5 months old. I drove 2 1/2 hrs to rescue her after finding out when I got there she doesn't like to ride in vehicles without getting sick. I couldn't leave her because it was a bad area and living in a condemned house! It was a rough ride home and didnt think she was going to make it? She's has become a great family pet and is very smart. I still have the car issue to this date and have tried everything, from meds to short rides. I almost lost her 2 months ago due to a disease that Shepards get called Intestinal Bowel Disease that has been tough on her. She is on a special diet for the rest of her life! I also have a issue with her being aggressive towards other dogs whether she is on her run on or on her leash. Its so bad that my girlfriend is scared to walk her because of her aggressiveness. She acts like she wants to rip them apart and that bothers me, but she is the greatest with people It seems to be getting worse as she's getting older!! I would love her to be calm around other dogs. I live in Maine and could use Cesar's help with Sadie.

November 17 2014 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Summer Luke

I need help asap anyone with any advice I have a 2 year old dog and she is the sweetest and best to me and my children and cats but when I brought a puppy home it all changed she plays with him but then all of a sudden she went crazy on him she got him good his eye is puffed and his nose what do I do help please

November 13 2014 at 8:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heidi Anthony

i know that this will not happen but I would like cesar to come to my house and help me with my two females they fight when they are together this started about two years ago . i have taking them to petco for dog training school and martin has done all he can with the girls they did good for the two mounths of training but we moved and Angel and bella got into it bella got bit on her back leg and angel bit a vain i took her to the vet and than i asked the vet what i should do she said put museals on them we did that when they fight they don,t hurt there selfs but when the don,t have them on its back to seperate them i want my girls to get back to a family they are mother and daughter neidiroolz65@yahoo.com

November 10 2014 at 7:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply