How to Get 'Dog Whisperer' Cesar Millan to Come to Your House

More on PawNation: Cesar Millan, Dogs, Puppies, Training

Have you ever wished the "Dog Whisperer" Cesar Millan would come to your house and help you with your unruly canine? You're not alone.

"We get thousands of applications from people wanting to be on the show," one of the show's producers, Sheila Emery, tells Paw Nation. "But we're only able to pick a small percentage." So how do the producers decide which dogs (and their owners) merit a visit from Millan? Paw Nation attended a "Dog Whisperer" casting call to find out.

On a sunny December afternoon in Santa Monica, Calif., Leah Pacheco and her husband Meftali Villasenor wait nervously to talk to one of the show's producers, who is holding auditions at a local grooming salon. The couple has driven two hours for the chance to be featured in an upcoming episode of "Dog Whisperer with Cesar Millan." They have four dogs and are desperate for help.

"We have a year-and-a-half-old Doberman pinscher named Jordan and she's crazy," Pacheco tells Paw Nation. "She dominates our other three little dogs and bats our Chihuahua around like a soccer ball." Does the Chihuahua like playing with the Doberman? "No!" Pacheco says, "Buttercup, our Chihuahua, is terrified!" Jordan also has a scary habit of jumping on the car whenever Pacheco's husband gets inside the vehicle.

They've tried everything that Millan suggests on his shows -- exercising Jordan on a treadmill, making her run alongside as they bike -- but nothing works. "It's our fault," laments Pacheco. "When Jordan was a puppy, we spoiled her. We're hoping to get on the show so Cesar can help us."

Dogs are allowed to attend the casting calls, but Pacheco and her husband have opted to leave the overbearing Jordan at home. They are, however, clutching the requisite application materials: a release form, questionnaire and a video showing Jordan misbehaving.

Inside the grooming salon, three-year-old rescue dog Berkeley (pictured above) and his owners, Kelly Berry and Peter Pappas, meet with producer, Emery.

"He's a good, sweet loving dog," Berry says, "but he's territorial and doesn't like smaller dogs. He goes nuts whenever he sees a UPS truck and spins in circles and does intense barking." Berkeley has gotten kicked out of daycare after just one day, Pappas says, because he was aggressive towards another dog. "We put a muzzle on him and shot video of him jumping up and trying to bite us," Pappas says. "Oh, good," Emery murmurs.

"The better the video, the better your chances of getting on the show," Emery explains to Paw Nation afterwards. "The video doesn't need to be professionally shot, but it does need to show the behavior." (Click here to read the show's submission guidelines.) Bonus if you're dog is quirky. "We love phobias," says Emery.

Currently in its sixth season on the National Geographic Channel, each episode of "Dog Whisperer" features three problem dogs. "We look for stories that are unique that we haven't done before," says Emery. "Maybe there's something unusual about the dog or the owner. Maybe it's a breed we haven't done before or a location. The same problems tend to come up, so we try to mix it up by combining the personality of the owner with the problem with the dog."

The show's producers like to feature people who they think will most likely follow through with Millan's advice. It's one reason Emery likes the young couple with the problem Doberman. "They've tried things without success and it shows they're motivated," she says. "When I hear about the problems with certain dogs, I wonder, 'How is Cesar going to fix this?'"

After six years working with Millan, Emery says she remains "completely mystified" when it comes to guessing how the dog behavior expert will solve a problem. "Cesar is so creative," she says. "We just give him the material for him to do his magic."

Lee Ann

I have written to you before about my husky/lab mix. There are so many requests for your help on here, so thought I would tell you again what my problem is. Kate is very well behaved in every area. She gets along very well with people of all ages. I found my granddaughter asleep on top of her and she dresses her up all the time. The problem is her aggression towards other animals. I will not walk her any more, because if another dog is off leash and comes running towards us, Kate will attack that dog. I had thought of taking her to a shelter, but no that I would not be able to live with myself, and it would break my girls' hearts. She is such a good, sweet dog, except for this one issue, which is a pretty big deal. I hope, so badly, that you would be able to help. Lee Ann Eltomi.

Yesterday at 4:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sentl1

Our springer spaniel was bitten on the nose when he was about 8 months old by a big dog that had broken off its leash. He has been afraid of other dogs and strangers since. He has bitten every member of the family and is on prozac and an anti seizure medication. He has transferred aggression and a number of "triggers" including when I am at home and my wife is leaving. Any stranger who tried to pet him would be bitten. Our yard is totally fenced because otherwise he would run out into the street and try to bite any person dog that was walking by. He has been seen at Tufts Animal hospital by Dr. Nicholas Doddman and before that, other behaviorists. These are only some of the problems. We live in Rhode Island but would bring him to California if Caesar would help. Is help available?

Friday at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kaylynchristinee

Every dog seems to have their issues, but my dog is not like any I have ever seen before. I rescued her at three weeks old because her mother was hit by a car and her owner couldn't handle feeding all of the puppies on her own. She grew up much like my own child, and I took her EVERYWHERE thinking it would help her be social . She is a pit, and I did not want her to be an aggressive dog . To this day she loves other dogs an everyone she grew up around, but if she sees a new person while she is on the leash she acts like she wants to attack them. I also have a pot belly pig who she grew up with and my dog has always gotten along with her. Recently I got a mini donkey and my dog tries to kill him. She goes straight for his throat if she accidentally gets in the pen and I have to jump on her and pull her jaws apart with all of my might. Because of this excitement she has recently began acting out with my pig. There is absolutely no way I could ever part with her or my other animals, but the stress of constantly keeping them separate along with keeping strangers to my dog away from the house has gotten to be overwhelming. I need help with her fear and anxiety, and can't find anyone who is willing to help a pit bull learn to behave with farm animals. I have no idea how to get in touch with you guys on the show to help me out, but I really hope someone reads this. I am in Binghamton, NY and my phone number is (607)621-8341. Thank you!!!

April 09 2014 at 11:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dj_mellowdee54

i am looking for help i have an aproximatley 5 yr old chiuahua /poodle mix ,i know here breed is very terrioterly but the cat was here before her and he is almost triple her size yet she domintaes , the cat is now afraid to try and vie for some of our attention daisy will not allow it , ,she gets aggressive when we try to give any attention to the cat, and when it comes to daisy being around other dogs yea i so afraid someone going to be hurt by her she gets very aggressive ,other then that she a pefect dog both the cat and dog are rescuse animlas sort of ,the cat belonged to a friend that was murdered he is a mean cat so i need to work on that to but daisy who know in control wont allow it , daisy belonged to a friend she has frequent seziures i scared she going to get her self in a tizzy and have one i cant sooth her out of help me plz
i am in north tonawanda ny phone number is 716-692-6288

April 06 2014 at 6:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ninicutsyours

Tried to contact u guys three times n a 30 min. Time span!!! I Know when i can reach u, u'll c why I desperately need HELP!!! Belinda Sowers. Ninicutsyours@aol.com

April 06 2014 at 3:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ninicutsyours

I am in desperate need of some help !!! U r my last resource. I'm Belinda Sowers. My chihuahua/ fiest mix. A rescue from a friend who recently married. Jealous husband n expectant wife. Put outside by husband n trying to SHOW Stuart Little ( puppy) his place. I took him n I've loved on him as much as I know how! He's so aggressive with me n waits for any confrontation. Tried everything. I love him n don't want him unhappy n also, I'm worn out. Please help!!!

April 06 2014 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ninicutsyours

My name is Belinda Sowers, and I am n desparet need of help with my chihuahua / feist mix. As a puppy, had to compete with a new husband that was intent on proving HIS place in the new arrangement in the household. I removed the puppy when the couple became pregant. As he was put outside, only being under 5lbs. Also in November (BRR)!!!. I've got a normal household of various dogs n four cats. Never outspoken !! Seniors!! But Stuart Little my problem dog will accept love on his terms, n never fails to put me ing place.need Sooo much help. I've run out of comment space. Meridian ms. 601-282-0323!!! Help

April 06 2014 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nell_mccoy

Hi. Cesar, I sure hope you get to read this request for our help. My 3 yr old granddaughter is caught in the middle of a separation "war" between her mother (my daughter) and her father (and his mom and grandmother). I never knew my heart could break into, literally, a thousand pieces. Because of the parents drug addiction, CPS was involved over year. We live in Georgetown and Austin, Texas. To complicate things Mattie (my granddaughter) lives with her paralegic father who lost both his legs in a horrible car accident when he was 17 - he is now 27. He turned to heron to fill the void and pain in his life. He has been battleing it for over 2 rehabs now. And my daughter got addicted to meth and her life has been turned upside down - and needless to say their beautiful blessed child! He has a 3 yr old pit/boxer and a yr old male pit (solid white with one brown eye). He has had NO training and is beginning to show allpha aggression toward the female dog. So far, she has gotten him to submit, but he jumps on everyone and likes to bite. At 64, I can hardly keep him off of myself and Mattie. He has bitten me and broke the skin; by the time I leave their my arms, shoulders and back are hurting for several days. He has scratched Mattie and knocks her down - for now just playing. But he loves to get her toys and tear them up. I am so afraid that one day she will do something that he thinks is challenging him and he may really hurt her. At his age, if I can convince her father to get him training, this type of accident can be avoided? Because I don't think the father in a wheel chair could protect Mattie and himself? Savage (the yr old pit's name) and the pit/bower has torn every couch cushion and recliner they have o sheds? I know, by nature and a good environment, pits are great family pets. But in the last 2 weeks on CNN there was a young boy mauled by their family pit and a 4 yr old girl killed by their family pit - supposedly for no reason. PLEASE I am begging you for your help? I am a 64 yr old disabled widow on a fixed income and could not pay you what you would normally charge a client. But watching your shows and videos, I know you have a heart of gold and though I am biased, I do believe my Mattie's well being would be something you could not refuse. But if you can't help, maybe you can recommend someone locally that could help us. I don't want the father to think I am interfering in his life but Texas local CPS is already involved in their lives because of the drug allegations, but handling an aggressive alpha male pit is out of their expertise Please, please respond to my request (yes or no) to my email: nell_mccoy@aol.com or call me at 512-694-0433. Thank you for all the work you've devoted your life to and I'm hoping my little family may be added to your success experiences.

Respectfully,
Nell McCoy
2439 Town Lake Circle #113A
Austin, texas 78741
512-694-0433

P.S. (remember P.S.)Thanking you in advance for your help

April 02 2014 at 2:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
juliannadewitt

Hi,

I have a 2 year old German shepard/mix who constantly growls at my other two dogs. Also at my husband and I, it has become a scary situation for me especially. I have been bitten in the face by a dog I trusted, so for her to be showing signs of anger at me, scares me. I know I could probably contact other people, but this has become a problem and I am honestly scared she will bite me one day, we got a puppy recently. so I thought maybe she was just resistant, but she clearly shows that something else is wrong, I have done the whole vet visits and they say she is fine, its clearly something deeper then an illness.. I just need help..last thing I want is to go through something like I did in the past, we love her way to much... please I know im one of the million people who ask for your help...but I am at the end of the road..

March 31 2014 at 9:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melody Snicklefritz

Dear ceaser, my names victoria im 19 and currently almost 8 moths pregnant i have a chihuahua named pepe ive had him for like a year And a half now when we first got him it was all fine but in the past half a year hes become extremely over protective and aggresive ive tried some techniches ive read on the internet but doesnt seem to work its now at the point to where he has bitten almost everyone in my family and im scared that if hes like this now hell be even worse when the baby arrives i live in houston tx and im just in meed of help i have run out of options and dont want to have to give him up or put him down.

March 31 2014 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply