How to Get 'Dog Whisperer' Cesar Millan to Come to Your House

More on PawNation: Cesar Millan, Dogs, Puppies, Training

Have you ever wished the "Dog Whisperer" Cesar Millan would come to your house and help you with your unruly canine? You're not alone.

"We get thousands of applications from people wanting to be on the show," one of the show's producers, Sheila Emery, tells Paw Nation. "But we're only able to pick a small percentage." So how do the producers decide which dogs (and their owners) merit a visit from Millan? Paw Nation attended a "Dog Whisperer" casting call to find out.

On a sunny December afternoon in Santa Monica, Calif., Leah Pacheco and her husband Meftali Villasenor wait nervously to talk to one of the show's producers, who is holding auditions at a local grooming salon. The couple has driven two hours for the chance to be featured in an upcoming episode of "Dog Whisperer with Cesar Millan." They have four dogs and are desperate for help.

"We have a year-and-a-half-old Doberman pinscher named Jordan and she's crazy," Pacheco tells Paw Nation. "She dominates our other three little dogs and bats our Chihuahua around like a soccer ball." Does the Chihuahua like playing with the Doberman? "No!" Pacheco says, "Buttercup, our Chihuahua, is terrified!" Jordan also has a scary habit of jumping on the car whenever Pacheco's husband gets inside the vehicle.

They've tried everything that Millan suggests on his shows -- exercising Jordan on a treadmill, making her run alongside as they bike -- but nothing works. "It's our fault," laments Pacheco. "When Jordan was a puppy, we spoiled her. We're hoping to get on the show so Cesar can help us."

Dogs are allowed to attend the casting calls, but Pacheco and her husband have opted to leave the overbearing Jordan at home. They are, however, clutching the requisite application materials: a release form, questionnaire and a video showing Jordan misbehaving.

Inside the grooming salon, three-year-old rescue dog Berkeley (pictured above) and his owners, Kelly Berry and Peter Pappas, meet with producer, Emery.

"He's a good, sweet loving dog," Berry says, "but he's territorial and doesn't like smaller dogs. He goes nuts whenever he sees a UPS truck and spins in circles and does intense barking." Berkeley has gotten kicked out of daycare after just one day, Pappas says, because he was aggressive towards another dog. "We put a muzzle on him and shot video of him jumping up and trying to bite us," Pappas says. "Oh, good," Emery murmurs.

"The better the video, the better your chances of getting on the show," Emery explains to Paw Nation afterwards. "The video doesn't need to be professionally shot, but it does need to show the behavior." (Click here to read the show's submission guidelines.) Bonus if you're dog is quirky. "We love phobias," says Emery.

Currently in its sixth season on the National Geographic Channel, each episode of "Dog Whisperer" features three problem dogs. "We look for stories that are unique that we haven't done before," says Emery. "Maybe there's something unusual about the dog or the owner. Maybe it's a breed we haven't done before or a location. The same problems tend to come up, so we try to mix it up by combining the personality of the owner with the problem with the dog."

The show's producers like to feature people who they think will most likely follow through with Millan's advice. It's one reason Emery likes the young couple with the problem Doberman. "They've tried things without success and it shows they're motivated," she says. "When I hear about the problems with certain dogs, I wonder, 'How is Cesar going to fix this?'"

After six years working with Millan, Emery says she remains "completely mystified" when it comes to guessing how the dog behavior expert will solve a problem. "Cesar is so creative," she says. "We just give him the material for him to do his magic."

smokey6067

To Tammy Wofe, your dog is too much for you to handle if you are disaled. Your kids should never have gotten you a dog. Tieing it up all the time is only going to make it even worse. I have a boarder collie that had a similar temperament when I got him. I have to take him on two very long walks per day. I have to take him to a park every single day and let him run like crazy until he wears himself out. I have to play ball with him constantly in the house and also outside at parks. You have to be very phsycial with dogs like this. I'm sorry but if you are not and if you are so worried about your yard you need to find a more suitable home for your dog, t/hese dogs are very high energy and you sound like you are driving the dog crazy by tieing it up all the time. Your dog is doing what is natural to that breed of dog. Please please find someone to take your dog who has the time and energy for it. It's not the dogs problem it;s yours. Sorry to say this you sound like a nicer person. Your kids should even consider taking on the dog if they have more time, are fit and younger. Laura

Saturday at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Valerie Quintana

Cesar, I am in desperate desperate need of you help...We rescued a pitbull mix in September and will not give up on her. She was going to be put to sleep, then went from foster, to foster, then to us. We also have an Australia Shepard that is the love of our life.....Sofie is very sweet and has come a long way but she's a jumper
:( We constantly get complaints from our neighbors, animal control etc. I don't want ANYTHING to happen to her or anybody else. Since finding out she jumps, we've made a gated dog run.....bought a huge kennel we put her doghouse, water, toy etc.....and even still, today again she jumped over to our neighbors yard, while my husband was in the back yard with her...now there threatening us, giving us an ultimatum or else......I am in tears 8 months pregnant freaking out because, I have no idea what to do now, please please help us.....I do live in Valencia and would love to meet u. Thank you

Thursday at 1:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy Wolfe

I have a 9 week old Australian Shepherd/Blue Heeler named Jasmine that my son and daughter-in-law bought me for my birthday/mothers day when she was 6 weeks old. The day they brought her she was very calm and laid back, couldn't care about a thing. She was very affectionate. The next day that calm, laid back puppy disappeared and turned into the puppy from hell, nipping and biting my hands and arms. I know puppies need to mouth to learn, and I worked with her to be easy by yelping when she hurt me. This hasn't done any good. I have raised my voice and she ignores me. She has broken my skin all over my hands and forearms with many gouges and scratches by biting, and not just puppy play biting. I look like I got into something extremely poisonous. After reading a training book, it said to leash train your puppy for the first two weeks. I had already had her loose in the house the first two weeks, but bought a harness so I wouldn't hurt her neck and have had her on a retractable leash for a week now. She is almost housebroken but does have an accident if I don't recognize she needs to go outside. My main concerns are her biting my hands and forearms, my feet, my jeans (and shaking her head back and forth), scratching me, and totally ignoring me when it comes to learning no, not to bite, drop it, etc. I know she's young, but she is extremely intelligent. I know her breed likes to herd, but this isn't just nipping. When she is calm she is a real sweetheart. I get down on the floor and play with her, she has tons of toys and lots of chew toys that she readily demolishes. I don't know what to do. I'm bleeding to death and will have scars from her bites, but I love her and am determined to help her any way I can. I don't want to lay back and assume she will "grow out of her puppy stage" because any bad behaviors now will just get worse the older she gets. I had another Australian Shepherd/Blue Heeler for 17 years before she passed away, and her temperament was nothing like Jasmine's. Unleashed outside she runs around the yard and gets into the landscaping and my cannas. I have attempted to teach her "out" with failure. She runs like a madman through the monkey grass and cannas and has destroyed some cannas by crushing/biting them. My husband works very hard to keep our yard looking great, and I cannot have this behavior outside. Therefore she is leashed at all times. We have a crate for when I have to leave the house, which she hates. I am now putting her on a tether at night so she can sleep in the bathroom and we can get some sleep. She absolutely terrorizes our two cats. She will belly up to submission when I growl and bark (don't laugh) and get in her face (I'm really pushing it there) and when other dogs check her out. But she turns into the schoolyard bully by jumping up on them and nipping and barking. I am disabled with neurological and back problems, so there is only so much I am able to physically do. Please help! txanjl@sbcglobal.net

May 18 2015 at 11:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wanda herring

Wanda HERRING
we have a pitt bull named cash and he is very jealous of the babies that are at our house. My husbands name is Daniel and when he takes cash for a walk he wants to pull and over power us. When i get ready to take him out he gets very anxious and runs around while I get ready to put his leash on him. We need help with him. He always has to be on a leash if not he will run away from us. Cash is a rescue dog, so we really don't know his pass. Cash is a great loving and a beautiful dog he just needs to mellow out some. We have tried working with him but we do need Cesars help please.

May 17 2015 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wanda herring

My name is Wanda and my husband is Daniel, we have a pitt bull named cash. Cash is a rescue our son Matthew had cash and wasn't able too keep him when their baby was born so we took him. Cash is very jealous of the babies. He will not let us play or even let us get near them. When we get ready to take him for a walk or let him out side he gets out of control. We can't walk him because he wants to pull us and gets very anxious. We need help badly. Cash needs your help to. Thank you.

May 17 2015 at 11:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeymi Rodriguez

Hi Cesar Millan,
I have a a silky terrier who is such a loving little guy who is going to training classes for adult dogs but there is one issue we have not been able to correct. He is extremely anxious when he is around big dogs or hyper dogs and his response is to act very aggressive towards them even if they are far away from him. I take him for 2-3 walks a day to try to correct the negative behavior but its extremely hard when he ignores my presence. he is so focused on the other dog and he gets on his two back legs and jolts forward so aggressively and he literaly chokes himself from how hard he pulls on the leash. I am trying everything i can to correct the behavior even remaining calm when he acts this way but it doesn't seem to work. sometimes i wish i could bring a bigger dog around him to help with the training but since i moved to the city in Chicago its so hard because people don't like bringing their dogs around aggressive dogs. I have another dog Turner (chihuahua mix w a terrier) as well and he was so well behaved that now from being around Thai (silky terrier) he has started to copy his behavior and pulls on the leash as well as lashes out at other dogs as well. Turner is my girlfriends dog and she is in the army currently deployed and its so hard to see Turner acting up because i wouldn't want her to come back from her deployment and see Turner being aggressive with other dogs just like Thai is. I know its a long shot but if there is ant chance for you to help me that would mean so much. I would love for my little guys to have peaceful walks with my girlfriend when she comes back and for us to be able to take them to dog parks and walk without having them be so tense around other dogs. I hope to hear back from you soon.

Jeymi

May 16 2015 at 11:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Janet Niemann

I am on a time sensitive matter my sister has a 6 yr old pit the dog has always had aggression issues she has become the only one that be around this dog.as she became homeless with this dog she was pushing it around the streets in a shopping cart.last week she tried to commit suicide and was admitted to a psych hospital where she remains.i tried to take the dog but I couldn't get near her to even try to take her.animal control came and picked up the dog she was placed on a 10 day hold at the animal foundation in Las Vegas no.ive reached out to many groups and people.i spoke to the foundation that told me they had to isolate her and she is extremely aggressive she will not be put on the rescue only list she is scheduled to be put down Tuesday at 7 pm I need professional help for her I believe she deserves a chance and I also believe that Caesar may be the only one that can help me try to save her.i know you get so many stories but this is my last chance.ive seen how love able she can be around my sister she has good in her.i don't know if this will even make it to Caesar but if it does please help this girl she's never had a shot at a good life a free life.if anyone can help me fight for please contact me janetniemann@yahoo.com time is almost up

May 16 2015 at 10:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kelly M Rodriguez

Hi I am writing you he I can get help for my 9 yr old daughter she got a dog for Christmas 2 yrs ago she wants it to be a inside dog we have tried everything she pees in my house no matter what I do she parks at everyone that comes in she has almost bite a friend she won't stop we watch your show every day and practice what u say and I keep trying but it is not working I know it's breaking my daughter heart but I can't let her be a house dog I even thought maybe there is know hope for this dog and send it away I am asking you from the bottom of my heart please help us if not I will have to see my daughter heart break I have tried everything and still trying by what u do on TV I just want my daughter to have one thing in life is to have her as a inside dog and would be around her friends sincerely kelly Rodriguez from woodland ca 530-312-3803

May 15 2015 at 5:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michelle Williamson

Hi, I'm writing about the dog my brother-in-law's Mother, (Grandma Millie)promised my nieces 10yrs and 4yrs as their Christmas gift. They got the dog soon after their Poppa (Grandpa) passed away earlier this year. They went to the local shelter and picked out Bailey, a Black Mouth Cur. Bailey lives withe their Grandma and the girls are there every weekend. She's a wonderful dog but we believe she'd been mistreated before they got her, because she cowers when people pick up the broom or other stick. She's become protective toward Grandma Millie which I think is concerning. Easter weekend my mom and I went to Millie's for the girls Easter egg hunt and for dinner. Bailey growled a little when we first arrived but then just wanted pet and played with. After we'd been there for a couple hours there was a knock on the door and all hell broke loose! Bailey started growling, barking, snarling, lunging, and snapping even before the door was opened! My sister managed to grab Bailey's collar and pull her away but Bailey continued to growl, bark and snarthe visitors were Grandma Millie's youngest son and his wife, Bailey had never met them but that was no excuse considering she'd never met me either....this has scared me half to death because my 10-year-old niece tried to get in the middle when my sister was trying to correct Bsiley and could have been seriously injured...although she insists Bailey would never bite her no matter what we say. I'm afraid something's going to set Bailey off one day when the girls are playing alone with her in the yard and one or both girls will be badly hurt. Please help me out with this...I started to apply for Cesar911 but quickly and sadly discovered the rule of living in Southern Ca and we live in Fl, not even close to any part of Ca.
my email is: . nuts4ferrets@yahoo.com

May 11 2015 at 3:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristen David

I am not sure where to write this, but I am in need of desperate help. I have a 1.5 year old pitbull that I adopted as a puppy with my ex fiancé. I have had her since she was 9 weeks old. I live in AZ and Parvo is very common here and she had it as a puppy and we fought through this. I nursed her back to health with my ex fiancé. I was in a domestic relationship for about 6 months while I had her. She literally saved my life at 10 months old. I have had her alone with me for almost a half a yr. She is my best friend, my ride or die, and overall my savior. We go to puppy parks, go running 3 miles everyday, to stores, car rides, pretty much everywhere she is so nice around people and in public. She is in love with kids and babies, she will lay with them and be submissive all day around them. The moment we come home she is on guard mode and is mean and barking which I do not like. She is never been mean or growled or anything until we moved into a home. She gets on some other level and I cannot break her of it. I have taken her to classes and she is fine, but the home atmosphere is something different and it changes her attitude. I am in desperate help and will do whatever I need to do to make this work. She is my best friend, my kid, my everything and I just truly need some help. I honestly need her as much as she needs me and I never wat to lose her. If you can please contact me ASAP.

May 09 2015 at 10:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply