How to Get 'Dog Whisperer' Cesar Millan to Come to Your House

More on PawNation: Cesar Millan, Dogs, Puppies, Training

Have you ever wished the "Dog Whisperer" Cesar Millan would come to your house and help you with your unruly canine? You're not alone.

"We get thousands of applications from people wanting to be on the show," one of the show's producers, Sheila Emery, tells Paw Nation. "But we're only able to pick a small percentage." So how do the producers decide which dogs (and their owners) merit a visit from Millan? Paw Nation attended a "Dog Whisperer" casting call to find out.

On a sunny December afternoon in Santa Monica, Calif., Leah Pacheco and her husband Meftali Villasenor wait nervously to talk to one of the show's producers, who is holding auditions at a local grooming salon. The couple has driven two hours for the chance to be featured in an upcoming episode of "Dog Whisperer with Cesar Millan." They have four dogs and are desperate for help.

"We have a year-and-a-half-old Doberman pinscher named Jordan and she's crazy," Pacheco tells Paw Nation. "She dominates our other three little dogs and bats our Chihuahua around like a soccer ball." Does the Chihuahua like playing with the Doberman? "No!" Pacheco says, "Buttercup, our Chihuahua, is terrified!" Jordan also has a scary habit of jumping on the car whenever Pacheco's husband gets inside the vehicle.

They've tried everything that Millan suggests on his shows -- exercising Jordan on a treadmill, making her run alongside as they bike -- but nothing works. "It's our fault," laments Pacheco. "When Jordan was a puppy, we spoiled her. We're hoping to get on the show so Cesar can help us."

Dogs are allowed to attend the casting calls, but Pacheco and her husband have opted to leave the overbearing Jordan at home. They are, however, clutching the requisite application materials: a release form, questionnaire and a video showing Jordan misbehaving.

Inside the grooming salon, three-year-old rescue dog Berkeley (pictured above) and his owners, Kelly Berry and Peter Pappas, meet with producer, Emery.

"He's a good, sweet loving dog," Berry says, "but he's territorial and doesn't like smaller dogs. He goes nuts whenever he sees a UPS truck and spins in circles and does intense barking." Berkeley has gotten kicked out of daycare after just one day, Pappas says, because he was aggressive towards another dog. "We put a muzzle on him and shot video of him jumping up and trying to bite us," Pappas says. "Oh, good," Emery murmurs.

"The better the video, the better your chances of getting on the show," Emery explains to Paw Nation afterwards. "The video doesn't need to be professionally shot, but it does need to show the behavior." (Click here to read the show's submission guidelines.) Bonus if you're dog is quirky. "We love phobias," says Emery.

Currently in its sixth season on the National Geographic Channel, each episode of "Dog Whisperer" features three problem dogs. "We look for stories that are unique that we haven't done before," says Emery. "Maybe there's something unusual about the dog or the owner. Maybe it's a breed we haven't done before or a location. The same problems tend to come up, so we try to mix it up by combining the personality of the owner with the problem with the dog."

The show's producers like to feature people who they think will most likely follow through with Millan's advice. It's one reason Emery likes the young couple with the problem Doberman. "They've tried things without success and it shows they're motivated," she says. "When I hear about the problems with certain dogs, I wonder, 'How is Cesar going to fix this?'"

After six years working with Millan, Emery says she remains "completely mystified" when it comes to guessing how the dog behavior expert will solve a problem. "Cesar is so creative," she says. "We just give him the material for him to do his magic."

Mavis Anderson

Hey Ceasar, was wondering when your next visit to Australia is?? We have a 4yr old rottweiler whom we rescued from a family that was going to put him down as he grabbed hold of their childs arm which scared this family. Since we've had him we have notice his agressiveness with children from the ages of 0-7. I'm more concerned for babies as his eyes dilate like he wants to eat this baby. We have tried using different methods of training but with no success. If you can help would so appreciate that. Thank you

32 minutes ago Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mavis Anderson

Are you able to help please?

34 minutes ago Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

I love the miracles Cesar can perform on pets with some issues. I would like for some help with my 4 year old German Shepard that I rescued when she was 5 months old. I drove 2 1/2 hrs to rescue her after finding out when I got there she doesn't like to ride in vehicles without getting sick. I couldn't leave her because it was a bad area and living in a condemned house! It was a rough ride home and didnt think she was going to make it? She's has become a great family pet and is very smart. I still have the car issue to this date and have tried everything, from meds to short rides. I almost lost her 2 months ago due to a disease that Shepards get called Intestinal Bowel Disease that has been tough on her. She is on a special diet for the rest of her life! I also have a issue with her being aggressive towards other dogs whether she is on her run on or on her leash. Its so bad that my girlfriend is scared to walk her because of her aggressiveness. She acts like she wants to rip them apart and that bothers me, but she is the greatest with people It seems to be getting worse as she's getting older!! I would love her to be calm around other dogs. I live in Maine and could use Cesar's help with Sadie.

November 17 2014 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Summer Luke

I need help asap anyone with any advice I have a 2 year old dog and she is the sweetest and best to me and my children and cats but when I brought a puppy home it all changed she plays with him but then all of a sudden she went crazy on him she got him good his eye is puffed and his nose what do I do help please

November 13 2014 at 8:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heidi Anthony

i know that this will not happen but I would like cesar to come to my house and help me with my two females they fight when they are together this started about two years ago . i have taking them to petco for dog training school and martin has done all he can with the girls they did good for the two mounths of training but we moved and Angel and bella got into it bella got bit on her back leg and angel bit a vain i took her to the vet and than i asked the vet what i should do she said put museals on them we did that when they fight they don,t hurt there selfs but when the don,t have them on its back to seperate them i want my girls to get back to a family they are mother and daughter neidiroolz65@yahoo.com

November 10 2014 at 7:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Réandi Henn

Hi, I am desperate for help. I have one australian shepherd 11weeks and one husy 9weeks old. I reacently purchased the husky and he and the female shepherd are fighting so much. The husky doesnt want to play and he growels at the sheperd when all she wants to do is play... and when she gets frustrated with the husky she jumps ontop of thr husky and they go at each other... they husky bit the shepherd and het face bled. Are they still finding the dominance or what??? It makes me very nervous... it has only been 5 days. They are still so young arent they suppose to be playing and having fun?

November 10 2014 at 9:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fysaguirre

Hello Cesar my name is Rita and I have 2 Dobermans (1) female and very social and the other (1) male who is 7 mths old and is very nervous of people, he hides and is skiddish I am not able to get the dog to go for a walk out of the ward and for doctor's appts. I have to get someone to carry him always he weights 70 pounds and I can not lift the dog. When I put the leach on him he freezes and go on lock down. I took him for training and was told by the trainer they can not do anything for my dog. He is good around dogs. Please help ! my email is fysaguirre@aol.com my (C) 626 347 2635. Thanks

November 09 2014 at 8:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
candis blanco

I am desperate I have a beautiful chocolate lab puppy named lilith. She is so loveable and smart but when her and my son (3 years old) play she leaves little cuts from her sharp little paws and teeth. I know she is just having fun but my son's school had children and youth come to my house because of the cuts on my son. I love lilith so much but I can't loose my son. I'm tryin to monitor their playing and teach lilith to be nice but I don't know how. My son loves playing with her but now my husband wants me to send lilith away. I don't know what to do and my son has grown attached to her as well. Please any advice I don't wanna loose my little baby girl. Its not her fault she just wants to play. Please if you can contact me at lilith9726@gmail.com with any advice.
#Intears

November 04 2014 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to candis blanco's comment
candis blanco

If it helps at all my number is 7173807978 call or text anytime I just can't loose lilith

November 04 2014 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heidi Anthony

I have two boxers they are mother and daughter . my problem stared about two years ago when I go past them threw a hall way or a door they fight . I have kennal one up when i,m gone then switch when i come home so that not one stays in the kennal ,I have taken them to dog training school for it that seemed to work for a little while but we moved and my girls just fight one gets the other buy the legs and the last time she got bit on the vain the leg swelled and i asked my vet what to do so i put musales on them when were a family they go in sepert room one in my sons the other with me and we switch every other night to sleep for they do not have them on they go out side at differant times for they don,t have them on please help me get my girls back to normal. Heidiroolz65@yahoo.com

November 02 2014 at 5:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jordan.barth

Cesar I have a problem with my dog Keisha she won't go outside to go to the bathroom because of a high pitched sound she hears she even won't go outside the front door for a walk and whatever my feelings express she expresses the opposite I really need your help I live in racine Wisconsin my cellphone number is 2627218343 my address is 3300 oakwood Dr if u can come here i will be grateful I'm a big fan of your show please come here

October 31 2014 at 9:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply