How to Get 'Dog Whisperer' Cesar Millan to Come to Your House

More on PawNation: Cesar Millan, Dogs, Puppies, Training

Have you ever wished the "Dog Whisperer" Cesar Millan would come to your house and help you with your unruly canine? You're not alone.

"We get thousands of applications from people wanting to be on the show," one of the show's producers, Sheila Emery, tells Paw Nation. "But we're only able to pick a small percentage." So how do the producers decide which dogs (and their owners) merit a visit from Millan? Paw Nation attended a "Dog Whisperer" casting call to find out.

On a sunny December afternoon in Santa Monica, Calif., Leah Pacheco and her husband Meftali Villasenor wait nervously to talk to one of the show's producers, who is holding auditions at a local grooming salon. The couple has driven two hours for the chance to be featured in an upcoming episode of "Dog Whisperer with Cesar Millan." They have four dogs and are desperate for help.

"We have a year-and-a-half-old Doberman pinscher named Jordan and she's crazy," Pacheco tells Paw Nation. "She dominates our other three little dogs and bats our Chihuahua around like a soccer ball." Does the Chihuahua like playing with the Doberman? "No!" Pacheco says, "Buttercup, our Chihuahua, is terrified!" Jordan also has a scary habit of jumping on the car whenever Pacheco's husband gets inside the vehicle.

They've tried everything that Millan suggests on his shows -- exercising Jordan on a treadmill, making her run alongside as they bike -- but nothing works. "It's our fault," laments Pacheco. "When Jordan was a puppy, we spoiled her. We're hoping to get on the show so Cesar can help us."

Dogs are allowed to attend the casting calls, but Pacheco and her husband have opted to leave the overbearing Jordan at home. They are, however, clutching the requisite application materials: a release form, questionnaire and a video showing Jordan misbehaving.

Inside the grooming salon, three-year-old rescue dog Berkeley (pictured above) and his owners, Kelly Berry and Peter Pappas, meet with producer, Emery.

"He's a good, sweet loving dog," Berry says, "but he's territorial and doesn't like smaller dogs. He goes nuts whenever he sees a UPS truck and spins in circles and does intense barking." Berkeley has gotten kicked out of daycare after just one day, Pappas says, because he was aggressive towards another dog. "We put a muzzle on him and shot video of him jumping up and trying to bite us," Pappas says. "Oh, good," Emery murmurs.

"The better the video, the better your chances of getting on the show," Emery explains to Paw Nation afterwards. "The video doesn't need to be professionally shot, but it does need to show the behavior." (Click here to read the show's submission guidelines.) Bonus if you're dog is quirky. "We love phobias," says Emery.

Currently in its sixth season on the National Geographic Channel, each episode of "Dog Whisperer" features three problem dogs. "We look for stories that are unique that we haven't done before," says Emery. "Maybe there's something unusual about the dog or the owner. Maybe it's a breed we haven't done before or a location. The same problems tend to come up, so we try to mix it up by combining the personality of the owner with the problem with the dog."

The show's producers like to feature people who they think will most likely follow through with Millan's advice. It's one reason Emery likes the young couple with the problem Doberman. "They've tried things without success and it shows they're motivated," she says. "When I hear about the problems with certain dogs, I wonder, 'How is Cesar going to fix this?'"

After six years working with Millan, Emery says she remains "completely mystified" when it comes to guessing how the dog behavior expert will solve a problem. "Cesar is so creative," she says. "We just give him the material for him to do his magic."

Chrissy Bullock

My name is chrstina and I have two puppys and one of them try's to bite people when she's in the front yard I don't want to put her to sleep it seems like getting worse I really need ur help and we got her a muzzle but I hate it on her I feel so mean bc she a sweet puppy when she inside its just put in front of she see people walking on the sidewalk she goes crazy and we put a leash on her and the front now but I want her to stop bc she wants to be mean to people and now dogs I would love to to take her to a park but I to scared to

21 hours ago Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cindy Stopsen

Hello,

My name is Cindy and Houston, we have a problem.......4 years ago I married and my husband has a wonderful Golden Retriever named Stewart......we bought a house shortly after marriage and our realtor emailed me with a picture of a dog that had been abandoned and surviving barely, on the beach where she lives.....do we want him? If not, he would be taken the next day to a shelter......One look and I was in love! He is a Golden Retriever and Chow mix......his name is Sir Arthur Canine Doyle....aka Arthur, King of the Britions! We felt sure the two boys would get along, but dog fight from first sight. Ok, neither one was fixed so we took care of that...alas, to no avail - fight every time they see each other.....I have, for close to 4 years now, kept them separated - they each have their own room and every 3-4 hours I rotate having them out....I refuse to give up either one and have made this commitment - but wouldn't it be nice if they were friends? You name it, we've tried it.....they still fight. Please, please help.

Friday at 4:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rachelle Robinson

Hey Caesar! So I'll make this short and sweet. We are 2 single moms... we got Eddie, our new pitbull, through a rescue organization. He is an amazing loving dog, with the potential and loyalty to be great,,, hes loves the kids and is such a great family pet. He responds well to commands and we are working on his manners..... BUT !! We have one problem.... Eddie HATES men. Please help. Or i fear we may be single forever!

Love Rachelle, Erin and Eddie

Monday at 8:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jamie-Lee Sahlin'xo

Hi Ceaser,
I have a 2.5 year old Shepard/Wolf cross Rottweiler and in august 2014 she suffered what we think was a stroke right before her 2nd birthday. About 9 months before the stroke, Keeva was attacked by a English Mastiff and suffered 6 stitches in her right paw. Keeva was fine after that. However since the stroke, we've noticed a huge change in Keeva. We've noticed that on a walk, if we walk by another dog, she goes nuts! (We walk her with a haulti, and she spins and goes crazy trying to get this thing off her face.) She also does this in the car, she sees a dog walking out side or in another vehicle, and she goes wild! Lunging at all windows and barking aggressively. We've also noticed she isn't as nice as she once was with other dogs. She chest bumps them, nips at them and VERY vocal towards them... When she was a puppy she loved socializing with other dogs at the Lagoon, we were able to have her off leash and she'd actually play with dogs. Now, she goes into automatic defensive mode.
My question is, do you have any tips on how to walk by a dog and play with other dogs so I can have my happy, playful puppy back?

February 21 2015 at 8:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jaqui Kroez

My name is Jaqui from Long Island, I am a dog lover who is the daughter of a father who loves dogs but a mother who has no patience or sentiment for animals (and she runs the house). Given this I was never really allowed to have pets. When I was 22, I've moved out of my parents and I walk into my office at work and there is this little tiny puppy on my bosses lap. Needless to say I fell in love immediately. She had an issue however because she already had 2 dogs and a cat and ran her own business and didn't have the time to care for the puppy that her daughter and daughter's boyfriend got but couldn't keep because both their landlords wouldn't allow it. So reluctantly she gave me Diego at 3 months (she got him at 8 weeks). But during the whole time I would take him on the weekends and hang with him in the office. But now he was MINE! My very first dog that was mine to take care of and love! I did notice however, that he had an aggressive streak in him (he is a pit mastiff, I think). Where I lived there was another pit who was very friendly, but as Diego got bigger he started to become more aggressive, it escalated to the point where they would get into blood drawing fights to the point that they couldn't be together. I began to notice that it wasn't just my roommates dog, but all animals. He seems to overpower anything/body that he feels he can. It scared my when he was on a lease out on my parents' front lawn while my niece and nephew were playing and he was pulling against his leash to the point that it snapped and he charged after my 5 year old nephew and bit his ear. Thankfully we got to him before anything really bad happened but it was so scary and my sister wouldn't let my dog around the kids anymore. Another thing is that when people come in the house he jumps and barks and is all over them relentlessly to the point that people don't want to be around him. He's not like that with me, but that's because he knows he can't get away with it with me. I moved to Queens at one point where Diego couldn't come, and my parents looked after him. My mom called my hysterically crying one day, and told me that she had taken Diego for a walk and a small dog ran off a neighbors front lawn towards them and Diego latched on and wouldn't let go no matter how much my mother yelled. The owner of the small dog began hitting and punching Diego. Eventually he released, but not before nearly ripping off the other dogs ear. It has gotten to the point where I am terrified to let anyone take him for a walk when I'm not around, and I can barely stand taking him for walks because he pulls and tries to walk me. The bottom line is that I love my dog so much, he is such a mush with me and my parents and I just want other people to see what an amazing dog he is instead of being scared of him.

February 21 2015 at 10:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thaddiawheelet

Hi There- My name is Thaddia , I live in Truro Massachusetts...We have 3 dogs, an 8 year old female Boston Terrior/ Beagle mix Jenni, a 4 year old Male Puggle Logan and a 7 week 3 day old English Black Lab Cody....Jenni was the first to arrive 8 years ago, 4 yes later we decided to get Logan at the age of 9 weeks, the two are like bookends, they love each other, during the last year we've noticed a change in Logan, he's horrible on the leash, aggressive toward other dogs, also has fence aggression....He's become the boss....So we decided that maybe a puppy would be a great idea ( Logan did have a lab friend 2 years ago but then passed) we fenced off the mudroom for a play and sleep area for the new baby, so here goes the introduction, we pick up the baby 3 days ago, did a one on one introduction with each dog in the driveway..Jenni the older one was playful and curious, she already raised a puppy so she knows the deal...The puggle did fine too but wasn't playful, he had "the look"...So we continue to bring the baby inside, in the mudroom with his crate toys and all the puppy stuff, we gated it off...The baby walks up to the gate and so does the Puggle, with absolutely no warning the Puggle tries to attack the baby through the gate, snarling, spitting, lunging, all teeth, it was horrible, we reprimand him...He kept doing this for 2 days, just very scary..I tried holding the baby and sitting on the couch with the Puggle at my feet, no go, he snarls and has that " I'm going to kill you look in his eyes....This is day 4, I found myself in the corner of my bedroom bawling so hard I was shaking, my heart hurts like never before....So I got through the tears and asked my Fiance to let's pretend to go for a ride and bring the puggle amd the baby in the car TOGETHER, the baby in my arms in the passenger seat and the Puggle with his front paws on the console, like he usually does, he didn't seem interested in the baby but kept watching him with that look in his eyes.....The Lab deserves to live happy , safe and secure at all times....I know in my gut tje second my hands are off of the baby, the puggle will take his opportunity.....

February 20 2015 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zach Miller

Hello my Name is Zach, I just recently rescued a 10 month old chocolate lab he is about 68 lbs. The chocolate lab's name is Browny. Browny was adopted at the Arizona humane society in Phoenix. He is really shy but he warms up really fast. I have 3 kids all boys the age of 10, 6, and 1 years old. Browny does well with my oldest children but he is really nervous with my youngest he growls at my son when ever he goes near him. I have had my son in my lap while sitting on the ground and Browny does ok with my youngest that way, but when ever my son is walking around his attitude changes. I really want this relationship to work out with my family and Browny. I want to give this puppy the loving home he deserves. When Browny growls at my son I say HEY and clap my hands together once to snap him out of his behavior. I know it takes time for Browny to adjust but I do not wanna feel on edge with Browny and my son. Is there any tips on correcting his behavior?

February 19 2015 at 5:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
advo1

Cesar,
I have an English Setter rescue that is very quirky, We have had him for 6 months now. He is very sweet and friendly, but he is scared to be anywhere but in the upstairs of my house. He stays in my closet most of the day. You can tell that he wants to come out, but he is too afraid. The only other place he feels comfortable is in a chair in the corner of my bedroom which is where he voluntarily goes when we come in the room at night to go to bed. He is on a a routine where he knows he goes outside immediately when I get out of bed. My yard is not fenced, so he goes out on a leash. Once we are back inside and I release him, he bolts upstairs to the closet where he sits in the doorway while I prepare his food. Because he is so uncomfortable downstairs, I have set up his food in the guest bedroom upstairs at the opposite end of the hall of my bedroom. He waits for me to come and get him, tail wagging but will not come out of the closet without me walking up to him and telling him to come and get his dinner and then he will walk with down the hall to his bowl. If I leave the room while he is eating, he will go back to the closet. In order to get him to eat, I sit on the bed until he is done. He takes a few breaks in between bites to peer down the hall at my bedroom, but returns to his bowl back and forth until his bowl is empty, then he immediately returns to my closet. I have tried closing off the rooms upstairs, and this sometimes works, but when he is downstairs, he is very nervous and just sits and stares at the staircase and about every 10 minutes will walk up the stairs to see if the doors are open. He never calms down and relaxes downstairs. To give him social interaction, I make regular visits to the closet throughout the day. When he hears me coming, he sits at the doorway of the closet wagging his tail excited that I am coming, but won't step out of the closet. He is also very scared of squeak toys. I really need your help to know how to help him overcome his fear and build his confidence.

February 13 2015 at 9:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa McGarey

This isn't necessarily for me but for a friend. She has a rottweiler they weighs around 130lbs. When ever any one comes in the home he runs full speed into that person and jumps on them.nearly knocking the person over. When in the home alone or with people there he chases shadows on the walls the floors anywherea shadow could be he will chase it. They are getting married this year and supposed to have the wedding at their home I don't see his as a good idea with him being so obnoxious. He also eats random items the bed sheets blankets hats glasses. He is provided with numerous toys bones etc. When on leash he pulls rediculously hard and almost pulls us over. It usually takes 2 people even remotely control him. When in the car he races the length of the car chasing the vehicles that pass by even sometimes running face first into the rear window. I believe they need help with this dog seeing as they can't seem to control and train the animal on their own..please help my friends

February 12 2015 at 5:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Belinda Russell

Hi my name is belinda booz I have 2 Brazilian mastiffs and an American bulldog my one mastiff is 5 yrs old and weighs 158 pounds he is a wonderful listener and does whatever I tell him to do my bulldog is 8 years old and she has cancer but she is is a wonderful loving dog and is a great listener to however my 10 month old mastiff who weighs 135 lbs already is really a bad listener I have tried everything I trained my other 2 however the puppy has food agression issues also whenever I let him out he doesn't come back and I have donkeys and horses that I worry about him getting hurt by or maybe even getting kicked by he barks at everything when I try get him to stop it gets worse and he trys to fight with my other mastiff he also jumps up on any one that comes in my house he is already huge and if I can't control him now I don't know what I am going to do when he tops out at 250 please help my email is boozhome@gmail.com and I am from kingston tn

February 09 2015 at 9:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply